In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Digging through some old Guns Illustrated books, Marlin Golden 39A, 109.95

Winchester 9422, 109.95

Colt SSA, 194.95

Super Bearcat, 54.00

Remington 788, 99.95

Lord I am getting to be an antique.

Working for about 2.00 an hour and 2 little ones in diapers, not much gun money for sure.

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭

I remember those days,especially the little money part.

• Options

Looked a little deeper, Colt Python, 199.00 and most all center fire ammo around .30 a round.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭

I was just getting out and did not make enough as an E5 to buy most of the items listed.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******

1974 I was in my second year of community college. Dirty Harry movies were out and a local gun shop had a new S&W 29. I asked to see it and the owner said " Show me $350 and I'll let you hold it."

I never went there again. I now own five of them .

• Options

The same book has an article about the making of the 9422.

Pictures of some Winchester employees, set up man, foreman, and quality control person.

Anyone out there that might know who they were? Should have been taken around 1970 to 1972.

One of the lead men who helped design the 9422 went on to become the president of Winchester.

I have a couple of the items that were presented to him in recognition of his work at that time.

Very low serial numbers and out of the custom shop to say the least.

• Options
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I was working for a whopping 1.35 a hour it may have been 1.65 I remember getting a rase about then

but bought my fist guns at Woolworth, a marlin 30-30 for 89.00 and a universal m1 carbine for about the same price and had mom split the price for dad a Christmas present they had Mossberg 16 ga pumps for 69.00

I still have dads 16 ga the others are long gone

kid in my class at high school ( 74 -75 time frame ) he had a couple python pistols at that time I thought what a waste of money ( another great moment for me )

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

My archery hunting buddy from high school (1970) brought by a Herters catalog...Colt Python...$209.00...I stated...What the hell do we need a handgun!!! 😣...

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member