In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why do you carry? What do you fear?

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

Was posed this question yesterday.

Simply stated that I carry for the same reason you got the magical Covid vaccine. You probably do not need it, but there is a small chance that some day it may save your live, and a small chance that it will help protect the vulnerable around you.

Not sure I made a convert, but one could tell it caused a bit of introspection.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Because every adult is responsible for their own safety.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

The only problem are crazies driving and losing their cool and shoot someone for a driving mistake. Happening all the time down here in Houston, Texas. Just more reasons for the progressives to ban constitutional carry . Some People have no common sense anymore with using carry guns. Bad news for the rest of us. A right abused long enough will invite restrictions for all of us, believe it or not.

serf

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

I like your post LSD, wife and I did similar, attended class to know laws, rules etc., got the permit but neither of us has actually ever carried in the 7 plus year since then... Opted to not renew when the permit expired since I saw constitutional carry was on its way here in Texas, I can and will carry if I ever feel the need but haven't as of yet...

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Yup. There is almost a zero of any one person dying from COVID, yet that person is constantly urged to get vaccinated, get a booster, wear a mask, etc.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

better to have it and never have to use it than need it just once and not have it to save your life or someone close to you

I have carried a gun since I was 16 have never once had to display it or of use it for self defense I am 65 ( well very close ) and hope when I pass I never had to use it against any one .

sadly, even small towns are not safe as they use to be people have lost respect for life it seems. so just another good reason to have one

• Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭

I carry my gun for the same way I wear my seatbelt. I carry my gun because it's my right to. I carry my gun because evil does exist, regardless of how we wish to divide up that conversation. Now, what do I fear? I'm carrying a gun, not a damn thing!

A good buddy once told me "I'd rather carry a gun my whole life thinking I'm a badass rather than being put into a situation to find out I'm not".

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭

I recall, a few years ago, these liberal/progressive questions.........being used as "got-cha" comments against conservatives.

The tables got turned........

"Why do you carry?"   Answer:"Because I can, and it's my right."

"What do you fear?"    Answer:"Absolutely nothing."

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

^^That's my response^^

I carry because I CAN and I WANT to. I wouldn't call it 'fear' but the older I get, the more I realize I'm in more danger of being a victim.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭

I fear federal government when it is determined to take away our firearms and dead set on expunging our Second Amendment rights from our beloved Constitution

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

I have fire extinguishers in my home. Not because I'm afraid of fire, but just in case. I carried as an LEO & continued for the same reason. To protect others in a bad situation.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,302 ******

I carry for the same reason I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen... I might need it to stop something bad from happening.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

Severely arthritic , unable to effectively fight back or run in a life-threatening situation. My gun is my equalizer against the punks and thugs who would see me as an easy victim. Sadly those kinds of situations are occurring more and more frequently, even in relatively small towns such as ours . The city is roughly about 40 thousand peeps with a majority being of other decent

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....