In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Box magazine ID?

otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭

Attached are photos of 2 box magazines. The parkerized magazine is for a M1918 BAR and works great. The dark magazine was sold to me as a M1918 BAR magazine. It loads 30.06 just fine and fits in the mag well but will not latch. As you can see, the notch for the latch in the dark magazine is in a lot different spot then other magazine. Is this a cheap knockoff or maybe it fits another gun I'm not aware of? The dark magazine looks like its never been used.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

just to note; there is more than 1 version of the bar

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

The darker (X marked) may be for the Dutch version of the BAR. I bought one a few years back for use in my Ohio Ordnance version 1918 BAR and had the same problem. Didn't discover the problem deliberately, was looking through a collection of early 1960's American Rifleman and spotted the Netherlands version of the BAR.

For the follow up question, I don't think they're worth any more than a plain old BAR magazine. Although, seems to me they ought to be.

• Options
    neatgunsneatguns Member Posts: 127 ✭✭

FN Model D, version of BAR with a quick change barrel. Has a spacer in back for shorter 8mm, than 30-06. Follower has hold open tab.

• Options
    otter6412otter6412 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭

Thanks. I learned something today. Now I need to buy a FN Model D BAR.