In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Bisley / Colt SAA question

oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm having an issue with a seller that I bought an Arvo Ojala holster from. The auction heading specifically stated that the holster was for a Colt SAA with 4 3/4" barrel.

His auction listing had pictures of his Bisley revolver that appeared to fit correctly in the holster although the barrel protruded about an inch from the open toe.

So I bought this holster for my 3rd Generation Colt SAA with 4 3/4" barrel because that's what the auction said it was for. The problem is that the holster is too small and I can only get it my gun about 1/3rd of the way in before the cylinder hangs up on the opening.

I'm no expert on Bisley revolvers, but I was of the understanding that they were essentially the same as an SAA, but with a different backstrap, hammer and trigger. So if this is the case, why did his Bisley fit and my SAA won't?

I see that many of the "antique" Bisleys were chambered for a .32 WCF, but was that cylinder smaller than a .45 SAA?

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I forgot to mention that I have a Colt King Cobra .357 which I believe is the "D-Frame" and it fits perfectly in this holster.

• Options
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Check for a raised seam inside the holster that the cylinder may be hitting. If not, wet the leather, cover the gun with plastic and force it into the holster. Let dry for two days for a perfect, snug fit. Do not get the outside leather too wet or it will discolor the leather. Looks like a well made holster.The Bisley frame is the same size as the SAA to the best of my knowledge. The cylinders are all the same size, just different size holes in them.

Assuming there is a code on the back that would tell you the exact model, IF you could find the mfg's reference sheet.

• Options

Thanks navc130.

I appreciate the suggestion. Problem is Ojala's patented steel lining sandwiched between the layers of leather. It's supposedly shaped to allow the cylinder to rotate when cocked while the gun is still IN the holster to facilitate "fast draw". The steel liner does not want to bend, and it would have to be stretched quite a bit to get my SAA to fit properly.

Regarding Bisleys, I know there are a couple manufacturers that make a .22 caliber version which would probably use a smaller frame and cylinder, but I think what the seller posted in his pictures was a Colt Bisley.

Thanks again!

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

What's the sellers return policy? If it were me, I'd accept return in a heartbeat.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Call and see what the manufacturer has to say. Maybe the holster was slightly damaged in the past, crushed a bit.