In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Storing a lever action rifle

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Ask the Experts

When storing a lever action rifle is it best to store with the hammer resting on half cock or all the way down or does it even matter? I generally always stored on half cock but have been putting the hammer all the way down lately. Yes with an empty rifle

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt it makes any great difference, but I let the hammer down all the way. We are talking about an empty rifle yes???

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I have always done it hammer down.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I have always thought it best to store firearms with the springs "at rest," especially flat springs. But, I honestly don't know if that is important or not. It just seems logical that long term storage with minimum tension on the springs would be beneficial. I understand that coil springs can be compressed for long periods of time and still remain fully functional.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

The storage conditions, ie, humidity, temperature, etc. are way more important than hammer position. That said, hammer down IMO.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Probably best to store lever guns with the hammer at rest instead of being held in place by the sear. That said, if you are talking about using a lever gun for home defense with the chamber empty but magazine loaded, having the hammer at half cock will make it a little easier to lever in a round in a hurry if you need to.