In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger American Bushmaster scope rings??

Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am in the process of buying a Ruger American Ranch 450 Bushmaster and a local dealer has them in stock both with, and without scopes attached. The scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 3x9x40, which I like, but the rings are Vortex, the Hunter model. The dealer tells me that this a combination that came from Ruger this way.

In looking at the Vortex web site, it states that: We do not recommend the Hunter Rings for use on heavy recoiling rifles. I sent an email to Vortex about this and they replied, that the 450 Bushmaster is considered "heavy recoil" and they recommend not using the Hunter model rings, but using their Pro model instead.

I'm waiting for an answer from Ruger, but does anybody has this configuraton with Vortex Hunter model rings on their 450 Bushmaster? The local dealer says he's sold hundreds of this combination and has not received any negative feedback. .......Or should I simply look around for some better rings.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

The Bushmaster does have a tendency to slide a scope in the rings and that would be especially true with a larger, heavier scope. I have a Ruger American .450 and use Weaver quad-lock rings on it. They hold the scope and, to my eye, they look OK.

Good luck!

• Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Thanks...... the Weaver Quad, Medium Height (model 49046) is looking to be my choice and I'm wondering if you put a 3x9x40 scope on your Ruger 450 Bushmaster, and if you did, did you use the Weaver Quad Medium rings (model 49046), and if so, how much clearance is there from the bottom of the front bell to the barrel? The scope I am going to use is a Vortex 3x9x40 and the front bell has a dia. of 1.89". I'm thinking a Low Ring might be better and closer to the barrel, but Weaver does not make a low in the Quad.

Thanks...... Barry

I am quite sure that low rings will not work for your rig. I'll try to explain. To answer your questions in order: No, my Bushmaster is set up with a Leupold low power straight tube scope, that is, the objective has no bell and is 1". I did use the #49046 rings and the scope lines up very naturally with my eye when I put the rifle to my shoulder. I have another Ruger American, a .243, with a 1.81" objective bell scope and the #49046 rings. The space between the bell and the barrel will just accept a 3/32" (.093") allen wrench. Your scope is .080" larger than mine; (1/2 of .080" is .040") which would reduce the clearance to around .050". If you keep in mind that the height difference between low and med. rings is .110", you can see why I don't believe lows will work with your rig.

I hope this helps.

I forgot to add: Many of the rifles are now equipped with a rail. My rifles, mentioned above, are set up with individual Weaver type bases (which I prefer). But I've seen Ruger Americans with rails and, to my eye, they look to be of similar height to my bases

• Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭

Thank you, your explaination is specific and clear to me, which is what I was looking for, so I'm going with the medium Weaver Quad rings on my setup.

My other concern was scope slippage/ movement with the 450 Bushmaster recoil, but from what I understand, these Weaver Quad rings will handle the recoil.

Thanks again!