In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Combat Commander front sight tenon size

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

How do I determine if I need a "small tenon" or a "large tenon" front sight for my Colt Combat Commander? I believe it is a Series 70, but not exactly sure how to determine that. It is not marked "Series 80". I want to order the correct size front sight.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Several years ago I ordered an OEM front sight for a 70 series Combat Commander from Gunpartscorp. I just ordered one with the finish I needed (electroless nickel), they didn't ask about the tenon. The sight fit perfectly; I was lucky.

It took me about 10 years to get the OEM front and rear sights. If you are looking for a blue sight, you may have luck if you contact the small parts dealers who are out there, but often difficult to locate.

Neal

• Options

Further information, my serial number starts with 70xxxxxx, so likely a Series 70?

• Options

The learning process... apparently the Series 70 1911's came with the narrow tenon. Later on, the wider tenon was adopted in Series 80 and newer, to better keep the sight attached firmly to the slide under recoil. One person said his front sight "disappeared" while shooting. With all the 1911's out there, I had never heard that was a problem. And my serial number shows "Series 70" by beginning with those numbers. I live and learn!

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the serial number indicates that yours is really a 70 series. But, none of the Commanders had the revised safety & spring steel collet of the Govt Model series 70.

Neal

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭

I don't know the dividing line. But if you take off the old sight, you can look at it and the hole. You might could tell looking inside, depending on how well it was staked.