In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

$0.33 a Day Home Rent ,,,,,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in General Discussion

Daughter found my grandparents(father’s side) 1940 census along with monthly rent.

My father mentioned several times when the landlord showed up to collect the rent his father would sneak out the back door ,,,,,, 😳

During the depression there were too many children in the home and not enough food. My father would ‘claim’ a garbage can in the alley behind a restaurant and eat food not finished by the restaurant’s customers. Tough times.

My father joined the army in 1940 because they served 3 meals a day.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭

One third of a cent a day is pretty cheap rent.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******

After working as a migrant fruit harvester, and working for the Civilian Conservation Corps, my dad joined the Navy in 1939 in order to have a place to live, meals, clothing, and medical care. Times were tough. Dad was tough.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Dad was driving a coal truck in Kentucky and joined the Navy in 1942

• Options
    edited December 2021

Forge, I see that error all the time, mostly in supermarkets. Got into a "discussion" once with the manager when I insisted to the checker that .50 cents a pound meant that my two pounds of apples were a penny.

(I can't use symbols like the cents mark on this 'pooter.)

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited December 2021

One of the very few drawbacks to using Linux Mint is that it doesn't allow use of extended ASCII characters. At least I have not found a workaround to allow it yet. In a Windows system, Alt169 would produce the cents sign.

Given the many, many advantages to Linux Mint, I can live without that ability.

Apologies for digressing from a worthwhile discussion of people who worked their hands to the bone to provide for their families in very tough times.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Today's "Boomers" had parents who lived through the Depression and then WWII. Those hardships taught them to scrimp, save, make do, and just plain put up with troubles with gritted teeth. Some of us baby boomers learned or inherited those traits to one degree or another, but I see not a shred of it in Gen XYZ or whatever. To say that is exactly why the USA has gone to hell in a Radio Flyer wagon may be too broad a generalization, but there's whole lot of truth to it, too.

• Options
    edited December 2021

One can only imagine the living conditions of a $10/month rental. A single-family privy would have been the most one could hope for.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago, all the textile mills in this area owned the houses the employees lived in.They were called mill hills whether they were on a hill or not.When I was young my dad worked in a textile mill and we lived in one of the mill houses.The rent was 25cents per room per week.A 6 room house was $1.50 a week. The company had standards were you had to keep the house and yards clean and well taken care of.The company had a crew of maintaince men to take care of anything you could not do on your own.By about the mid 60s the textile companies sold off the houses with the employee given first chance to buy,usually for about 2500 to 3500 dollars.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭✭

Local textile company sold off their company house in the 70s . Know of several which were bought and moved out of town into my area. Decent little houses for the money .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

as a very young fellow I remember my mom and dad paying 12.00 a week for our two rooms I guess you call it a apartment

it was a long single story block building split in too sections some had two rooms some had four . one room had a cooking stove and fridge and bed the other a kitchen table and maybe a couch or chairs with a small heating stove

we moved into the "big house" at some point until I was in about 7th grade ( before moving on to a tiny house of our own ) the upgrade big house move was into a three room section of the land lords house a kitchen living room and one bed room It had a toilet no shower or tub or bath sink just a small room tucked under the stairs of the other side of the house with a the kitchen was just big enough for a cooking stove, a fridge, a sink , small set of cabinet's,and a dinning table wedged against the wall just enough room down the center to walk between the table an stove I think it was 100.00 maybe 125 dollars a month that was long ago by then there was four of us kids and mom and dad and we had at least one to two relative's that stayed with us at any given time , from down south they would sleep on the couch and floor personal space was unheard of . the other apartments) had a out side spicket for water all the people used a three gallon bucket to keep there own water in for there own use and a community bath / toilet house and shower the woman's side ( it had two rooms ) of it had a old wringer washer

looking back, it was not a fun or good time, but we made it thru now I wonder where all that" white privilege "was we were suppose to have had it must have just passed us over big time

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my dad as a young'un. His folks were Rangers in Yellowstone and lived in whatever ranger quarters they were assigned. Back then nobody was allowed a garage to park in so whenever they moved into new quarters my granddad would requisition three years' supply of firewood for the first winter. Then he stacked the extra wood carefully in nice long tall stacks (cough) with a roof over them.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******

Back in '74 my bride, 1st son, and I rented a furnished 2 bedroom brick duplex in the City of Sumter SC for 87.50 a month. I was working as a crewchief at Shaw AFB a few miles away at the time. Our landlord, Mr. Dunn was what a Yankee like me would call a for real Southern Gentleman. Always dressed in a suit and tie and spoke with a drawl that almost needed a translator!

I once made a joke with him about the 50 cents he had on the end of our monthly rent and found to my dismay an increase the next month to 88 dollars! 😲

I never messed with him again!

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, that was what it was like in Millinocket Maine. The paper company owned all the land. They gave you a 99 year land lease to build your home on their land.