In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever visit your childhood home?

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,738 ******

Comments

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

😁😁

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,466 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Last July, I made a road trip back to SoCal to visit my mother and my sister. I drove by the house where I grew up and it looks 100% better now than it did back then. In addition, my old high school now looks like a college campus rather than the run down school that I remember.

Things change, but not always for the better. I'm glad I left California and relocated to Florida.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭✭

Live about 1/4 mike from house i grew up in . All 4 of us live that close with sister living in the house. Never saw any need to leave .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up in Flint, Michigan. At one time due to G.M. Flint had the distinction of having the highest average income in the country. It was a great place to live and grow up. Now I avoid the town at all costs. G.M. left, years of inept crooked democrat control, extremely high crime and drug problems and maybe you heard about the mismanagement that caused the water to be lead contaminated. No desire to see the old house and be p.o.ed about what has happened to my old hometown. Bob

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

About 40 years ago went back to visit a house I grew up in Richmond, Va. Neighborhood was a slum. Went to visit my old school, Highland Park Elementary. It was burned out and roof had fallen in. Grass had grown thru asphalt playground and was four feet tall. Went to Northside Junior High School not far from Monument Ave. where they took General Lee's statue down. Some say you should never go back.------------------------------Ray

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭

we only live about 15 miles from where I spent the majority of my childhood the earlier years its still a dumpy looking place

my mom and dads old house just a tiny and I mean tiny old house put together as cheap as possible In the 1940 or 50's or so is for the most part falling in rotting away after they died no one did anything with the house (well my one sister and BIL use to mow the grass that was it ) honestly it was not worth the effort,

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,442 ******

My dad built the house we grew up in just after he returned from WWII. He bought the 6 acres of land from his father for 600 dollars. He told me once that he spent a whopping 15oo bucks for all the materials for the house. The 2x4's were actually 2" x 4" back then! Spent the first 17 years of my life there and left to join the service and got married.

13 years later, I bought the place from my dad and stepmom and along with the Mrs. lived there 30 years raising our 4 sons. 7 years ago, sold the homestead to our 2nd son and his wife who are busy raising their 4 kids today.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭

The house I grew up is about 15 miles away. Currently my SIL owns it and it is rented. My grandfather bought it in the depression when it still had gas lights.

He raised the roof on the 2nd floor to add two bedrooms. Because it was the depression he could not afford lumber. He found railroad timbers that were discarded and used those for the rafters.

He put on a small addition for a small kitchen. We renovated the kitchen in the 60’s and found they used old newspapers for insulation in the walls.

Never had a room to myself always had to share with brothers. That is why going into the service was easy and sleeping in barracks or a compartment with others was nothing new.

It still amazes me that we only had one bathroom and made that work for 6 of us.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭

The house I grew up in burned down several years ago. Just as well, the neighborhood is now a "hood", and I won't venture there unarmed or alone.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Yes,a little 900 SF home with a single garage. It was next to a steak restaurant. I would shoot rats with the BB gun around the dumpster of the restaurant and sometimes some that came to the house. Dad shot one in the garage with a .410 that was trying to go up the wall. Wally the cat wasn't doing his job or too full.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭

You can go to Google Earth street view & see your old properties.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭

Yes-After my introduction to the couple and chatting back and forth for awhile they said the husband's father bought the house from my Dad. My God that was 50 years ago!! Even more interesting I went to H.S. with the husband. Didn't really know him but what a small world.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,668 ✭✭✭✭

The two homes I lived in the longest as a child were both torn down and replaced by newer homes....

• Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭

We moved every 2-4 years...I wouldn't know where to begin!!! (Dad worked for RCA and contracted out to NASA...Godard Space and Flight and the Pentagon...)

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

l went by the first Daddy had built for us in Charleston awhile back. Tis a 4 room concrete block structure from 1955. My most vivid memory of the construction were the long bolts used to secure the roof to the house. l guess it worked because most of the other houses around got blown away by HUGO in 1989. @$5200 Mama told Daddy that Herbert Stokes charged too MUCH. Daddy said Mr Stokes built a GOOD house. Looking back l guess Daddy won at least ONE arguement with Mama🤗

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

this house was built around 1905-1910.......grandad moved here in 1919.....i moved here in 1964.....always considered this my home even as a little kid....will die and be buried here with several of my 4 footed buddies...how i miss them

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭

My mom still lives in my childhood home

• Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I have been back to my birthplace, Wye mountain, AR, in 1977 and 1997, as well as several times since. Wye is in southern Perry and Pulaski counties, along hwy. 113. I remember my carefree childhood days fondly, including childhood poisoning with water hemlock, gunshot wounds I inflicted on my older brother (accidentally, of course), knife wounds on my younger brother (not me) (again accidental).

Summers spent, barefoot, wandering the neighborhood. Black snakes, copperheads, poke berries, fishing, huckleberries, ticks and chiggers, “puff adders”, “stubbed toes”. My mother as a “Zanol salesman”. My dad working at a portable sawmill, skidding logs with a mule for $15 a week, and supporting a family of 7. We had a cow, a pig, and a garden.

Christmas at the church (my Dad did the stonework). (It's still there and active if you care to see.) We got a popcorn ball, an orange or apple and some hard candy.

Other things I remember: My grand mother, prominent in the church, revered by the community. She was a widow. Her sugar cookies-- she always had one, if you asked. Her house, which she built herself, including the shake roof. When it burned in 1951, her life was pretty much over, and she died shortly thereafter..

I have nieces and nephews scattered in Arkansas, that I have come to know and love in the past 15 years or so. They are the most welcoming and loving individuals I have ever met.

We moved to the Olympic Peninsula in 1952, my Dad wanting to remove himself as far as he could from a sister-in-law in AR and still stay in the country, because of a long-standing family animosity. We lived at Lilliwaup, Hoodsport, Triton Cove, and points between. This is a beautiful area, and my children are here. I eventually established a career and thrived here. There's no going back.

Each time I go to Arkansas, I feel “at home”. That is is where I belong. Most of my family is at the Wye cemetary, actually in Pulaski county. I'm 81, and my ashes will be interred at the local prairie cemetary in WA, which is fine, but I think my father's biggest mistake was uprooting his family and moving several thousand miles away, rather than confronting the enemy. I have never been at home here.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭

My grandparents and my father bought the place (50 acre farm) in 1925. Grandpa was 55 and Dad was 23. The house was built 1905-1915. When Dad died in 1998, I bought my siblings' share from them and re-modeled. The property was never broken up and the 50 acres, barn, and out buildings are still here though the fields have gone back to nature/jungle. I sleep in the bedroom where I was born.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,442 ******
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Same here. Came here in '61 in Army. Married the Dean of West Point's secretary. Stayed in NY because it made my wife happy. If I don't make it back to Virginia, my ashes will. Virginia will always be my home. Native Son.-----------------------------Ray