In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Strange acting young doe - CWD?

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭

While eating supper this evening we watched a couple of young does in the backyard. One was walking around and occasionally stopping to eat something, then eventually wandered back into the woods.

The other one was acting very erratic. She would jump straight up in the air while shaking her head very vigorously. then she would take off at full speed for a few yards, then go off in another direction at full speed, then jump up in the air, and about every 30-40 seconds would shake her head like crazy. She came up to the house while my wife was standing at the window and just looked at her. They usually take off or walk away whenever they see one of us.

I don't know whether something got in her ear or if she may be in the early stages of CWD.

Anyone have any ideas?

Joe

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

You've probably thought of it, but a call to your local game management officer is in order.

I've never witnessed CWD, but do know rabies causes rather erratic behavior. There may be other afflictions I'm not aware of that may be suspect.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭

Google nasal bot flies. They get bot fly larvae in their sinus cavities. I found several that had these huge larvae in their sinuses while cutting antlers off or getting brains for tanning hides. I would IMAGINE that when they turn into flys and make their way out..... that it would make a deer do what you describe. Just a warning, nasal bot fly larvae pics are nasty!🤢

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Nasal Bot Fly is my guess too. As I was skinning the head of one of my bucks this year, I found no less than a dozen of them in the sinuses, each a squirming 1-1.5 inch worm. So gross! I can only imagine the way I might act if I had one of those suckers in my nose, with no way to get them out.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭

You ought to shoot that deer and put it out of its misery.