In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Preferred gunsmith tools?

Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

I am wondering what brand gunsmith tools you all prefer. I have a Wheeler driver set that I use. I saw a Facebook as for a special sale. Read comments and people were pretty critical of the quality of the driver bits, and I have twisted one.

I enjoy buying inexpensive side by sides to tear down and reblue, but if a screw head boogers, it’s all over.

what do some of you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭

You can’t go wrong buying ‘quality’ tools. I buy the majority of my tools/ screwdriver bits from Brownell’s, the customer service is excellent and they stand behind the products.

1/4 the tools I use in building/tuning the 1911 ,,,,,

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭

Grace makes quality screwdrivers and I believe they will custom make any size you need.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Forgemonkey only has pictures of tools, except for his Globemaster sets. But he is right about Brownells. I have two of their Supersets, plus some extra bits. They aren't cheap. Unless you care about the quality of your work, and don't want to spend time and cuss words repairing buggered screws. Then they are cheap. I have been using mine for well over twenty years. And for those double you will need some of the really thin blades that don't come with the Superset. Good Luck!!

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

Ricci has to read the directions about which way to turn a screw driver but he is right about Brownell's tools. the only thing I buy at harbor freight is rubber gloves...........use once and through away.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

It was just that one time!!

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

If you work on guns you will collect tools over the years. I have several tools I have collect over the years, not sure of their names, but are a quality grade and proper size. I have some tools I have made for special applications over the years. Proper fit and quality are key, and sometimes you have to fabricate a tool.

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

They also sell a mounted stone for grinding bits to a custom fit. A drill press with cross slide vise works, but a milling machine is best. I've altered my share with the stone and my Jet bench mill.

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

One must have tool is a Dremel with the Flex shaft. I also have Dembart and MMC electric checkering tools

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Tools to avoid would be a good question to ask.

and watch out for gunsmiths who use gunsmith tools that should be avoided.

(especially one that only has a big ball peen hammer, pair of globe master channel locks, flat * file, dremel tool and globe master screwdrivers)

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried several of the socalled Gunsmith screwdriver sets and have found nearly all of them to have blades that are too hard. They often chip under torque, and it is difficult to grind oversized ones down properly to fit an oddball screw. My Dad was a blacksmith for 60 years and he taught me how to properly temper blades.

This discussion has been closed.