In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson Model 1 third issue

smisturismisturi Member Posts: 2

Smith & Wesson Model 1 third issue

Two questions here if anyone has the data on the S&W Model 1 third issue production numbers. 

First, I’ve read that this issue ran from 1868 through 1882 with serial numbers from 1 through 131,000. I have one numbered 132,452. Is this evidence that more were produced or possibly another issue.

Second there is a rarer short barrel version of the third issue (2 11/16 vs the standard 3 1/8”). How many of these were made.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭

My sources say the last serial number was 131,163 and that there are no available factory records for the #1. The shorter barrel was started in 1872 and continued until the end of production in 1882 but I don't know if production numbers are available anywhere. S&W sued several companies for copying the #1 and sometimes took their inventory and restamped it S&W. That might explain your serial number. Hopefully someone on here has more info. Bob

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

Norm Flayderman's guide says that Model 1, 3rd issue was made 1868-1881 for a total of approximately 131,163. The short barrel version became available in 1872. The Neal & Jinks book agrees that that number is roughly correct, but points out that all Smith & Wesson serial numbers for those made before 1876 are based on observation of existing examples, and other methods because the factory records were destroyed by flood waters in that year. Neither source gives any breakdown as to the numbers of guns by barrel length. An example with the short barrel should have the markings on the side of the barrel, not on the rib. BTW, the barrel and front sight on the gun with the shorter barrel in your photo looks rather suspicious to me, almost as if the barrel has been cut off right through the rear part of the sight.

Your 132,452 serial number clearly places the DOM very near the end of the production run, but proves nothing, given that production continued for several years after the records were destroyed. The total production is simply a "best guess" not a hard fact. There may, or may not, have been gaps in the serial number series.

In collecting old guns, it is important to remember that the original records were kept by hand, by workers pressed to manufacture, record, and inventory hundreds of guns a day. Numerous errors crept into the records, even if those original records still exist. Unfortunately, there are some self-appointed "experts" who don't seem to realize this. One has even gone so far as to generate his own serial number lists.

You might want to consider contacting the historian at Smith & Wesson and see if he can add any more information. `