In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SUGGESTIONS please collectible firearms

Merry Christmas to all

I am looking to buy firearms which are likely to appreciate in value as an investment

My current criteria:

1 I seek items likely to be prohibited in the near future which will enhance their value

2 Guns which are popular and no longer manufactured (like Ruger Red label)

3 Military weapons

4 Both solid value entry level firearms and Higher end firearms which consistently appreciate

5 Limited edition or movie type weapons (John Wick)

Any thoughts on specific brands or models or other criteria to consider

God this beats collecting stamps LOL

Thanks

Happy and Healthy New year

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Had I bought a warehouse full of British Enfields when I was a teenager I could have quite a stack of cash right now. All these decades i would have had to store and preserve them. Had I used the same money and invested in solid stocks I would have much more cash value and not have had to store and maintain all those rifles.

Collecting guns that will increase in value is a fun endeavor though so if you enjoy it I wish you the best. It doesn't hurt to have some real material holdings as part of a good financial package so why not firearms.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Tried and true would be something like mint to near mint Colt SAA , Pythons ,Lugers etc . Anything in high grade condition from known makers like Griffin&Howe ,Rigby , Holland &Holland etc .It would help if you decided to stuck to a type of firearm rather than a scattergun approach . Too many fakes on the market .You need to really know what you are looking for .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭

I have just downsized my collection and have done extremely good with the Marlins in most cases they sold for almost triple what I paid for them.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking as someone who has collected guns for over 50 years, I no longer consider the words "guns" and "investment" to belong in the same sentence. Sure, there are some over valued guns out there, and there will continue to be some. But which ones?

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I think your 20 years too late on investing on guns for the sole purpose of making money. Most of these guns are now at the peak of their value and you would be buying at the top of the market. The Colt snake guns, the WWII .45's, Old Winchester pre-64's, M1 Carbines & Garands. People do buy them only to complete a collection or acquire one like they had as a kid, and don't care about price.

Near prohibited guns in the future seem to be the AR15, as the "goto" gun to get rid of by politicians. Yet they make them by the millions. And don't have much resale value.

The Ak47 if you can find one will be also at the top of the price pyramid, if you buy one now- production will ramp up and prices will drop on market glut.

Do you see those gold plated guns on the second page of gun magazines selling for $2495. don't ever buy one, ever, and if you do, don't shoot or remove it from the box and after 20 years you would still lose money on it.

So find the best gun you would personally like to collect and buy the best example, old Smith or old Colt revolvers for example, and pay the premium and enjoy it. You'll hate them if you bought them as an investment and won't see a return for a number of years. good luck, thor

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭

Colt 1873 peacemaker

marlin 1893

winchester 1894

these are some limited quantity guns there wil only be future demand and increased value

Stay away from “ limited edition” bs buy original and finish needs To be high

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

My gut tells me to sell my WW2 pieces, as those that appreciate them are going to be dying off. Their salvation oddly may be video games as the Garland, M1 Carbine, Bar, and 1911 have a younger following that may well outlive us boomers.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭

I wish I had bought a lot more of the Marlins before Remington took them over and ruined the brand. Most of the guns I bought back then were 500.00 or less and I just had Casey sell a good part of the collection and they averaged 1200.00 just like the timing was right for now especially if Ruger does the Marlin brand justice.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭

Let me check my crystal ball...

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

If some of us knew the answer for sure, we would buy them up rather than share the info.

😕

It's too late for me, save yourself.