In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Citori Experts: What Do I Have Here?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/919905517

Is it a trap gun?

It has a Monte Carlo stock comb, but 30" barrels. I think a trap gun should have 32" or longer barrels. It also has a vent rib, but not a tall rib as is found on a trap gun.

Chambers are 2 3/4 inches. Barrels are not cut for screw-in chokes, and not marked as to choke. Markings I see are a 1 and a 2.

Is it a Sporting Clay gun?

Or is it a field gun with an oddball stock?

What is it worth? I see Citori prices all over the map, and I don't know enough about them to distinguish between a $1,000 Citori and a $4,000 Citori.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

I can't make out from your pics if there are choke markings above and below the ejector on the left side of the monoblock.

This is an older Browning with one asterisk for the top barrel and 2 for the bottom and that translates into full over modified. If yours has these markings and has a single asterisk for both barrels, it is likely that it is a field grade trap model. By the way it was made in 1974. Bob

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

No offense intended but that example is much likely to go for closer to 1K than 3K.

I sold a Citori 525 Sporting Gold with screw in chokes and a full Briley Titanium tube set (410, 16, 20 gauge tubes with chokes) with a custom Briley case and fiber optic sights for about 3K and it was sweet.

Matter of fact, I’ll buy you a steak and eat crow next time I’m in DFW if that goes for anything over 2K, sir.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

This may not be of much help but here is a Citori Trap I sold two months ago.

Browning Citori Plus Trap - Over Under Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 912613151

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

Thanks, especially to BobJudy.

I edited the auction. Maybe you didn't notice, but when I ask the membership for help identifying or evaluating a gun, I always put a very tall opening bid on it. Why? To keep anyone from bidding before I have a chance to edit and correct the auction information.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭

I don't profess to be an expert, but you are welcome sir. Bob

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking it might be an older broadway trap version, but yours came from Japan. I don't remember field guns having a mid rib, unless it was added. '74 should be after the salt wood period. I'm voting with Bob on this one. GLWS....