In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Missed You Old Pal

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in General Discussion

I missed you old pal this hunting season. I sat this one out. Just not the same without you. No more rustling the leaves at first frost. No more heating a can of Dinty Moore Stew

in the camp fire. No more fishing a cold one out of a mountain stream. Fifty five years we climbed those mountains and chased Whitetails in the Adirondacks. Course when our bodies got tired from carrying those seventy pound packs and pup tents into the deep woods we dropped down to the Southern Zone. We never gave up even when our minds said yes, yes and our bodies said no, no. Still we pressed on chasing the elusive Whitetails.

So many trails we walked in the North Country. Now I know it was never the joy to reach the end of the trail but the journey along the way that really mattered. We had a great journey Gerhard. Merry Christmas Old Pal.---------------------Ray

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭

sorry for your and the family's loss may he RIP

he is waiting on you in the happy hunting grounds to take up where you left off

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******

Here's to the memories of all the good times had with your old friend Raymond! May you always keep them close to your heart until you both get back together in that Heavenly wilderness where there is no end to all of the fish and game.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

It's people like you who make living worthwhile. Great post, thanks for sharing.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks to all for your kind words. Many of you here on the 'Forum" have lost dear friends recently but somehow we must go on and keep their memory in our hearts.-------------Ray

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

A poignant comment when I retired from the Air force Reserve, "Remember the good times."

I too have lost my two hunting companions. Another comment, from my high school English teacher, "Life is a series of adjustments."

Good luck and fond memories.

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭

We can only leave opionions trueisms great mememories stories tuisma and facta mostltly true surely Salty! rip who would have ever thought I could not Finish a drink of even water, Cancer SUCKS CUNFUSIOON hELOJENSIOJNS ETF]

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

Tell the stories of your times together and you both will live in the memories of others.

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

It's just not the same, with out you.

Sadly, The older I get, the more often that sentiment applies,

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    edited December 2021

That is a Southern Zone buck, a little skimpy on horn, medium weight. Northern Zone would be twice that diameter with quite a bit of pearling at that age. My friend Gerhard (Gerry) on the left.------------------Ray

• Options

It appears the post above may have been Bill's last post and that he was having some difficulty. I too had thought he was on the mend. The big "C" got my best friend Gerry, Miss June and so many others. My wife, Diane was in hospital 16 days with pneumonia and released day before Thanksgiving for third time in less than two years. She has Primary atypical carcinoid cancer in left lung. A very rare cancer that only non-smokers seem to get and Diane was a smoker. Last Cat scan showed no fresh growth after removal of 3" tumor. The future is uncertain. Cancer is a evil monster.

Rest in Peace Bill, we will miss you. I am so sorry for your family.------------------------------Ray