In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Jackson Hole Wyoming

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Group of friends had a trip planned for 29 December through 3 January. One now has Covid and I have become her replacement.

They have two trips into the Tetons scheduled and a New Year's Eve celebration. Anyone who has been there have any advice?

I'm taking my insulated bibs, Sorels boots, long undies, a blanket for the sleigh rides into the Tetons, a coat of course and my swimsuit. 😆 Hotel has a hot tub.

Temp here tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's, Jackson Hole at the moment is -9°.

Comments

• Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

At least 2 pair of REALLY good insulated gloves! Unless you're independently wealthy, you want to purchase as few goods as possible in Jackson Hole. Take as many supplies as is practical with you. Take lots of pictures so we can share in the experience when you return. We've only been there in the fall and, like most of the mountain west, it was spectacular.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Sealskin hat and mitts for sure. Is it going to be clear and sunny? Don't forget the sunglasses. Snow blindness is painful.

• Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

I lived there a year, if the sun is out even thou the temperature is low it can be quite nice. If you have a chance to the ride on the Elk refuge you will never see so many Elk in your life, usually a few Buffalo too. Jackson in an expensive place to shop, the square is neat to see with the Elk horn arches. I like going over the pass to the west at the top you can park and look out over the valley. I drive south along the Snake and Hoback rivers is fun. Lots to see and places to do things at there, enjoy! If you want the best Huevos Rancheros you can ever taste go to Wilson town of 200, just west of Jackson to the Fish Creek Inn open for breakfast and till two in the afternoon. I ate them every weekend, never found any that were close to as good.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget a supply of those chemical hand and foot warmers. The toe warmers that go on top of your toes are best if there's much walking to do. Slip a hand warmer inside your glove on the back of your hand. Also pack a fleece face mask for both sun and wind protection.

And bring a fully-paid credit card because you're going to max that thing out just buying breakfast.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Second the comment on going to Nora’s Fish Creek Inn in Wilson, but get there early or be prepared to wait in line.

We either breakfast there or The Virginian, but haven’t been there since the new owners remodeled the Virginian restaurant this past summer.

El Abuelitos Mexican joint on Broadway has good food, Bubbas barbecue is good, Sidwinders is also just a little spendy. Merry Piglets has good food.

A drive to the North to lunch at Togwotee lodge, only if it’s clear, no need for the drive if you can’t see past the blizzard sticks LOL.

The Gun Barrel serves a nice steak and you can get Buffalo.

I would highly suggest as a tourist that you get the Yelp app on your phone so that you can get on the wait list for a table and not show up and wait an hour + as town will be loaded.

Mule

• Options

I have sunglasses but I'm sure they are not what I need for snow. Took many winter trips to Minnesota through sunny snow. Will be hitting up Academy today for Polarized lenses. I have my Cabelas mits that are nearly two inches thick on the top side. I bought them for riding my four wheeler in the winter. They have an inner glove as well.

Best to make a list or I know I will forget something. Definitely will be taking loads of photos.

• Options

I have plenty of chemical hand/ foot warmers leftover from deer season so I will grab them. I also have my deer hunting fleece mask. It's camo but I prefer to keep my skin versus trying to be fashionable. Although instead of my brown Carharts I will be taking my pink camo insulated bibs. Going to stick out like a sore thumb. Lol.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,026 ******

You'll have a great time,enjoy