In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Learning styles...

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in General Discussion

When it comes to men, there are three types of learning styles:

1. The ones that learn by reading about the situation.

2. The few who learn by observation.

3. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.😬

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,386 ***** Forums Admin

🤣🤣 I'm usually type 3

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Peeing on the fence seems to be a right of passage for all farm boys . It is mandatory to trick all friends from town ,ignorant of the consequences , into doing so.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******

I hold a Masters Degree from "The School of Hard Knocks" where the curriculum covered about everything from peeing on an electric fence to sticking your tongue on a frozen flag pole! 😁

I have to attribute my survival into my late 60's to Faith and Blessings from Above!

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

When I was teaching Middle School Science we would always discuss electric fences as an example of voltage vs amperage -- "Voltage determines how far electricity will reach out to touch you; Amperage determines how hard it shakes you when it does reach you."

I was always amazed at the number of boys that would admit to peeing on a hot fence; some on a dare, at least one really bad luck at night when camping out. 🙄😁

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

No peeing on the fence, sticking ,my tongue on the flagpole, or that sort of foolishness. Any need for mental alignment was applied to seat of pants with whatever was within easy reach.

In actual learning, here was Dad's process: See it done, do the task with supervision, good to go for ever and ever-figure out the variations as you go.

At an age when most boys were still playing silly schoolyard games, I was operating farm equipment and basically running a 400 acre farming operation. Learning curves were steep to put it mildly.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I a type 2. No peeing on the electric fence, got my brother to do it to see the effect.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't pee on it, backed into it while weed whipping. Can not imagine that jolt in the other place.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

Id like to try the fence thing to see if I could get charged up!

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Just take a stalk of grass by the base, lay the tip on the wire and slide the wire up the stalk until you can feel the "pulse". It's up to you how hard of a jolt you want to take. Of course, that probably isn't as much fun.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

"Id like to try the fence thing to see if I could get charged up!"

Do you know how bull semen is collected?

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this derails the OP's topic, but didn't the Mythbusters disprove that peeing on the fence myth? Slow-mo proves that the stream breaks up into droplets almost immediately, leaving no connectivity from wire to body part.

Has anyone here truthfully done or witnessed anything other?

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I peed on an electric fence ONCE on a dare. Trust me, it hurts like hell!!!!!! My legs buckled and I went to the ground which fortunately broke the link to the fence. I would highly recommend no one else try it, unless you can talk someone into it, just for the comedic value.

Joe

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't in school yet. 4-5 yrs old, Maybe?

Anyhoots, my father's buddy dared me to.

I did. Hurt worse than getting racked.

• Options

Well, to be totally honest Rocky......NO! I was just kidding in my post above.😶

Some years ago, one of my sons caught my attention in another room of the house with his uncontrollable laughter. He was laughing so hard I just had to go see what was so funny. Turned out he was watching an episode of a cartoon called "Ren & Stimpy" where one of the characters peed on an electric fence! 😲

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe, if you got really close to the wire, you could pee in a solid stream. But not if you were more than perhaps a foot away. By that time, the "stream" is composed of individual droplets with no connection.

I'll accept the stories of people getting shocked that way, and I'm not volunteering to experiment, but I remain dubious.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options

When I was younger, I had a stream that could just about break glass.

Now I have to be careful I don't pee on my shoes! 😓

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

IIRC the Mythbusters episode dealt with peeing from a barn hayloft.

With the current crop of "weedclippers" the zap can easily arc between droplets, quite possible traveling quite a ways.

Nope, I never had the inclination to try it. Always kept a steel post handy to test the fence.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

one other right of passage in our younger days was to give the new kid in the neighborhood a green persimon, about like trying to swallow a cup of flour............little more bitter though

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

This is akin to listening to the weed burner sparking. And grabbing the wire in between sparks, in front of your idiot city dwelling cousin.

Then daring him to grab it.