In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Duck hunting pix reminded me of the time . . .

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

In the Texas Panhandle there are few places suitable for duck hunting -- too dern flat!

One of the farms we rented had a small pond near where I parked to walk across the field I was irrigating (so I could adjust the flow down each row and not waste water) and one WINDY day I walked up to the pond headed for where the water was running and I jumped a single Mallard Drake. He took off from the water and headed away from me until he got out of the wind shadow of the berm and hit the wind which was blowing as fast as he could fly. He was stopped dead for a few seconds of furious wing flapping, then he did a turning climb and really zoomed past me.

There was a lake near that farm that the county dirt road crossed (if it was a wet year). One year I spotted a friend of mine crawling down the ditch beside the road in an effort to get in range of the ducks that had drifted up against the road. He was a fair way down the road but making progress when a car drove down the road, stuck a gun out the window and fired a shot just to see the ducks fly.

I admired my friend's restraint (He's half Apache). Car went by him without any holes appearing.

Comments