In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I got to shoot my Christmas present, a Ruger 57 today. Got questions. PPFFFFT!!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭

I only was able to find one box of FN 27 grain ammo. Does anyone know if the Ruger doesn't like the light 27 grain bullets?? I managed to find 100 rounds of 40 grain bullets which will be here in a couple of days. Maybe that will solve the problem. At the moment this Ruger 57 is a Jam-O-Matic.

I loaded the mag, firmly smacked the mag into place, retracted the slide all the way back, released the slide. The round hit squarely on the bottom of the feed ramp. Cleared that jam. Repeated the sequence. The round again stopped on the bottom of the feed ramp. Third time was the charm.

This Ruger fired 4 rounds, jammed up again. Round stopped on the bottom of the feed ramp again. Just like the other jams, the round goes straight from the mag, about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the round, hits the bottom of the feed ramp straight on. The round is still level as it is leaving the mag. No tipping up to even try and enter the chamber.

The only positive thing was how close it shot to the orange target dots I had on my cardboard target.

I'll try the heavier bullets but if that doesn't help, back to Ruger.

So what say you?? Your thoughts or things you have heard about the 5.7.

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

Only shot 40grn through mine so far. If you have a red dot on it it needs to weigh an ounce or less.. It has been a little finicky, usually a fail to eject, about once every 40-50 rounds. I have about 200 rounds total through it, too expensive to shoot right now.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Don't know anything about the Ruger except they will fix whatever ails it. I used to order 5.7x28 by the case to feed the PS90 range guns. I am pretty sure it was all 40 grain. Never had any problem with PS90's and we ran them really dirty sometimes.

• Options

Using the sights that came with it. If it takes several hundred rounds to break it in, the breaking in process would cost more the 57! 😲

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

In my opinion, very few guns need a break in period. I have always heard that about Kahr pistols but have rarely seen many that did. And if they do couldn't pretty much the same thing be accomplished by working the slide back and forth on an empty gun? Of course, on a defensive weapon one should shoot the crap out of it before trusting it. Again, just my opinion and it's free.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,001 ******
    edited December 2021

Google search showed you are not alone on the fail to feed. The reasons given;

ammo

magazine lips

feed ramp

recoil spring

(that really narrowed it down)

On a NEW gun, I'd let Ruger figure it out. As stated they will, they'll take care of you.

Also there is still a safety recall on some of the 57's.

Ruger-57™ Safety Bulletin

Good luck. Give us a follow report as you can.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******

I think the cartridge would make a heck of a small game round, in a bolt action or single shot rifle. In a handgun for use as a defensive weapon, I am unimpressed.

• Options

As a defensive round I think it would do great but no round is any good for defense if there are reliability issues!!

This is a big part of the reason I prefer revolvers to any auto. When you pull a revolvers trigger almost always it goes "bang". If it doesn't go "bang", pull the trigger again! When you pull an autos trigger it usually goes "bang". Usually concerns me.

This is coming from someone who sometimes carries a LCR 22 Mag in my pocket. With the 22 Mag I feel well armed. I am well aware that this is not a usually accepted idea. The 5.7X28 is WAY past a 22 Mag. That plus 20 low recoiling rounds. Once reliability issues are taken care of I would feel comfortable with the Ruger 57 for self defense.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Shot one the other day at 100 yd off a sandbag. Real impressed with accuracy however I would never buy one for ammo being scarce and really expensive. I see the rd as a novelty. I wouldn't plan on shooting it thru a kevlar vest ..what it was designed for... anyway armor piercing rds are illegal here in SC.