In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm glad these guys eat well.

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing not everybody could handle being underwater for long periods of time. I can see how food would become even more important than usual. "If the chiefs aren't happy, nobody is happy".

How to Make Pizza on a Submarine - Smarter Every Day 246 - YouTube

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

Spent 4 days submerged on the George Washington. You could serve prime rib and lobster every night and it wouldn’t come close to making it worthwhile.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I spent 15 mins on a sub in Charleston. Bumped my head on a doorway. God Bless those guys

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Had a co worker who was a former sub guy . Interesting fellow but a little weird .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

I used to do some work for a farmer who I knew had been in the Navy back in the '60s. I asked him about it, and he showed me a picture of himself in uniform. It had a lot of stripes on it. He said he was the head electronics guy on a nuclear sub. After every cruise he would get debriefed at the Pentagon. I thought that was a pretty good resume for a hog farmer!

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

I went on a tour of USS Drum in Mobile Alabama. There are lots of jobs I would have signed up for in WW2, I particularly would have just loved to have flown a P51 Mustang. Might not have made it to August of '45, but as the song goes, "we live in fame, go down in flame..."

But, God Forbid don't assign me to a submarine. I am 6-2. kept banging my head in all the hatches. I was claustrophobic. You can Run Silent Run Deep but let Burt Lancaster drive that ship I don't want to serve on a submarine.

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

"I knew a guy who served in the Navy and was assigned to sub duty. Nice enough guy, but he was kind of weird."

I've had the pleasure of knowing 3 submariners. I built a home on the Kitsap peninsula for the commanding officer of a "boomer". He was friendly enough, but seemed like he was mentally on a different plane than those around him. Another also served on a Trident class as a nuclear electrician or something. He was, and still is, a pretty strange dude. The 3rd is a current coworker and is absolutely half a bubble off. Spending that much time submerged in a pop can hunting, being hunted, or knowing you may be called on to launch nuclear weapons that would end the world? Can't blame anybody for being permanently wierd after that.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******

"Das Boot" 😲 Sprechen ze not for me! 😬

My brother has a friend that served 4 years on a nuke sub back in the early 80's.

I would say he is a bit off plumb being a liberal Democrat who has our last president stuck so deeply in his head, putting all of our troubles today upon him!

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

one of my good friends is a former submariner. he worked in the engine room, his duty station was labeled as "lower level, aft". after he got out he became a nuclear physicist working in the radiation therapy field.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of people who are afraid of flying but I loved it. The same must be true for submariners.

I've been aboard three classes of subs at Port Canaveral: an Ohio boomer, a Los Angeles attack, and a British diesel sub that served as a torpedo target (honest!) All three were impressive. The first two for their technological sophistication, and the Brit boat for the audaciousness of the crew and their mission. The Brits apologized to us that they no longer had a daily rum ration they could share, and everything aboard reeked of diesel - including us after five minutes.

I think I'd have been proud to be a submariner, but I don't think the good chow would have made up for everything else they go through.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

The company I work for looks for former senior enlisted and officers that were sub guys for engineering positions.All the ones I have worked with take the job seriously but are easy to get along with. So far, we have a former E-7, an O-3 and a O-4E.

• Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Now that you mention it I did a job for fellow who spent 40 years on subs, he was very different, to say the least. Flying I can't get enough of, flew in a 1943 Stearman biplane last summer a couple times from the national fly in at Galesburg IL. Have plans for doing it again next year too! Great bunch of guys!

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

My co- worker was the medical corpsman for the sub think that is the term . Post Navy he was an RN .I understand that on a sub everyone crosstrains enough to be able to fill in for about every job on the boat.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭

I knew two that served on subs. One was a really great well balanced person. The other?? Oh my. Well past half a bubble off!! As in nuttier than the inside of a full Planters peanuts can.