In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Direct Ship in Same State?

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

Is it a violation of the federal RULES for a dealer to ship a rifle or shotgun directly to an individual in the same state? Hypothetically, a person is successful on the auction side. The dealer with the rifle is in the same state. Can the individual send a completed 4473 together with a copy of his ID to the dealer and the dealer then ship the rifle directly to the individual? Or, how about individual to individual?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is that a dealer may transfer a firearm to an individual only at his licensed place of business, or at a gun show in his state.

Individual to individual? Depends upon the city, county, & state. But, it's ALWAYS, ALWAYS a bad idea. Are you going to chance shipping a gun to a 15 year old boy with a doctored copy of someone's drivers license? The best way to handle a transfer to another individual is to ship to his FFL; it costs him a little bit more, but you need to be 100% sure that everything you do is legal.

Neal

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Inside the same state, it would not be a violation. Federal Firearms Licenses exist to allow for transfers across state lines. There is a Form 4473 for "Not over the counter" transactions. I've never used one- most dealers haven't. Even so, it exists.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your responses. The next phase of the question, to the dealers here, would have been, "Have you done it or would you do it." That part has been answered, also.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

I've done it, once, for my sister. It's an involved process, and required the written notification of the Sheriff in her county, a waiting period, and a written statement, sorta like this one:

To Whom It May Concern: 

Subject to penalties provided by law, I swear that, in the case of any firearm other than a shotgun or a rifle, I am twenty-one years or more of age, or that, in the case of a shotgun or a rifle, I am eighteen years or more of age; that I am not prohibited by the provisions of chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, from receiving a firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; and that my receipt of this firearm will not be in violation of any statute of the State and published ordinance applicable to the locality in which I reside.  

Further, the true title, name, and address of the principal law enforcement officer of the locality to which the firearm will be delivered are: 

Signature ________________________________ Date__________________

It's a lot of trouble. I did it for her, that one time, but I don't believe I'll be doing it again.