In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 24-4 marked "THROUGH THE LINE"

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Besides the slogan, " THROUGH THE LINE"there are what appears to be two horsemen engraved on the right side of the frame. I am stumped about what this means and the history of the handgun. Also marked: Number xxx of 500. I forget the actual number. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

According to the Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas, your gun was part of a special edition order by Ellett Bros in 1990. Known as "The Twelve Revolvers". Some full sets of 12 were completed, many not. No figures on how many or value. Should have old style 2 piece box with metal corners.

Neal

• trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Pictures Added. I bought the gun today. With box and papers. Appears like new. Thanks for your replies.

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone figure out what THROUGH THE LINE means? And the horsemen engraving looks like something from the 1800s, not what I would expect to see on a Model 24.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭

maybe pony express??

• Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

"They were sold by subscription with a different gun offered each month. Each themed gun was based on an early S&W advertising painting and delivered with a special book featuring calendar artwork."

Set #66 is complete and for sale on another website. The description says, "The set commemorates the Golden Era of Advertising Illustration & Art in the firearms industry during the 19th century. Each gun in the set is laser etched with one of the original illustrations of the time. The set is complete with a reference book depicting the illustrations and explaining each. There is also blue prints of the laser etching that was done on each gun."

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly