In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sales tax on shipping

minimini1minimini1 Member Posts: 1

Does anyone know why tax is charged on shipping? I looked over my state publications and read that if shipping is used by a “common carrier, is defined as shipping and is actual shipping” that tax does not apply. The question came up as I recently won an auction and since the seller is located not too far from me I decided to do a local pickup. GB is still taxing the shipping fee portion even though it no longer applies. In contrast, eBay, who is also a major facilitator does not tax shipping. I did inquire with GB support who responded with “Tax is applied to the shipping ”. Curious to know if anyone has insight.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

"I did inquire with GB support who responded with 'Tax is applied to the shipping'. ”

You have received the definitive answer. As to why? it's Gun Broker policy. Because no one in the forum, myself included, is a Gun Broker employee, we don't set policy or have input. If there is a forum member who is in the loop with GBHQ, let him or her speak up now.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******

We've always collected tax on shipping costs in Texas.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Ya-Good question. Bought ALOT of stuff here and it never rang up right for me🤑

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

fleabay does tax shipping, because of the sellers that charge 1.00 for the item and $29.00 for shipping, as they try to avoid

the fees.

• Options
    bitlockerbitlocker Member Posts: 299 ✭✭

it is considered a "service after the sale". (BOE pamphlet 53) like painting a lower to order and adding a fee for that , and therefore taxable. People object to that , though it is taxable according to state tax laws. And if you did not tax the total payment , you would need to subtract the S&H from the taxed item for each sale and like the dollar item + $29. S&H it gets complex. I haven't noticed if the stated tax on the first bill on GB is raised when the seller created S&H hits the bill (SAVE) It should.

• Options

You can be "tax exempt" on Gunbroker. I saw that some of my buyers showed zero tax on their purchases, so I sent Gunbroker a Texas Resale Certificate. I no longer pay tax on my Gunbroker purchases. See if you can do similarly.

• Options

I hate Fleabay. It's run by PRK liberals, and populated by thieves and scammers, but they do not tax shipping. Fleabay is a facilitator, and they do COLLECT tax for the various states, and then they presumably remit that money to the states.

Fleabay does charge their fees on the sale price and on the shipping, for the reason you stated.