In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 71 Question

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Ask the Experts

In December of 2021, I purchased a Model 71 and have a question regarding this particular rifle. For your review, the auction listing is 913073267 or:

My concern with the rifle is specific to the action. It is not nearly as smooth as that of earlier production model 94's and 92's that I have. There seems to be a slight "hard spot" when opening or closing the action as the top slide (?) meets the hammer as it glides forward & backwards. Is this typical to this model, or is this something that I should seek a qualified gunsmith to investigate?

For those who may a Winchester Model 71, please let me know how the action is on your rifle. When I move the level forward as if ejection a casing, the level simply does not operate as smoothly as I believe it should.

Any responses with insight are appreciated.

Thank you

EDIT - 1

In response to the question below:

"Does it cycle the same with or without a cartridge in it?"

I have not loaded the rifle yet. I do have ammo, but not at that location at this time. I will return there in the next couple of days and try the recommendation and cycle some ammo through the rifle.

In regards to other comments regarding the rifle's finish, I appreciate the remarks, but realistically the authenticity of the rifle is not the topic at this time.

Thanks all.

EDIT - 2

Response to "TRUTHFUL"....... If I operate the lever multiple times, the problem remains. The first time the lever is operated, the hammer is cocked, and held open (obviously).

If you review the pictures in the auction mentioned previously, there is one picture of the top of the hammer, which appears half-cocked. You will notice the "flat" spot on the hammer. This seems to be the location where the slide (?) moves backwards as the lever is worked during casing ejection. Hope I described that well enough.....

As for partially disassembling, I would probably take the rifle somewhere rather than tamper with it myself.

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

If that rifle is as new as it looks that could be the issue , just needs a bit of polishing or shooting.

Have you shot it? Those things kick like a mule.

Hummm, after looking a little closer I would bet the farm it has been refinished.

I am sure there are those with better eyes than mine.

• Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭

I have thoroughly cleaned the rifle but have not shot it yet.

I’m no expert, and but do have a variety of older Winchester’s. think the finish is original. The pictures by the muzzle & Winchester stamping reflect the “spiraling” of the metal beneath the finish. I think if it was refinished, these features would not be as visible. Also, the underside of the receiver is worn, as are the edges of the underside, but the sides of the receiver are not nearly as much. The forearm is proud on the front, and darker wood as it meets the receiver.

Again, no expert, but think the rifle to be original.

Thank you for the input. I’ll take your advise and put some rounds through it.....About $4 per round :(

• Options
    edited January 2022

No expert here by no means, The stamping seems to be not sharp enough and wood is not "proud" in many places.

There some pretty g0od refinishers out there for sure.

You happy, I am happy. For the price you gave for that firearm would be a steal if it is factory original.

My 2 cents.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Does it cycle the same with or without a cartridge in it?

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

When the hammer is in the full forward position, as if a cartridge has been fired, when you begin to actuate the lever, the two locking lugs first withdraw downward, then the bolt moves backward pressing against the hammer to recock it. Feeling pressure, or a hitch, in the lever at this point is typical of all Winchester lever actions as you have to push the hammer back against the tension of the main spring. If you first cock the hammer with your thumb, then operate the lever, do you still feel the hitch?

A few possibilities: (1) The Model 71 has a curved lever. The operating feel of a curved lever can be different than the straight lever as on a Model 86. To me, a curved lever feels shorter, thus requiring more pressure. (2) Check the main spring tension screw. By chance, has it been turned way in thus stiffening the spring? (3) If the gun has been refinished, or reworked as some suggest, it is possible that the main spring has been replaced with an after-market one. It could be thinned a bit if needbe.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

a nicely refinished rifle, the 'trade mark is washed out and the 'proof marks are blued

• Options
    edited January 2022

Mikey is right on.!

Again no expert here but have been hanging out with the best of the best when it comes to spotting a re done firearm

Takes a life time of experience and lots of hands on to keep from getting had. There are few refinishers that are too good, they are easy to spot to.

Use to go the KY expo for may years. Always a few fellows carrying them around. With a little learning you can spot them a mile away.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I first would see how it cycles with ammo, shoot a few rounds out of it, sometimes parts are just all at maximum dimensions and have a bit more interference , I understand you cleaned it, but dried old lube could still be inside the action, did you give it a real heavy lube job?

I would over lube it and work the action EMPTY a bunch and see if that makes any difference, this working of the lube into all areas might help it feel better and will protect it better during storage.

And I think that is a really nice rifle , good luck with it.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin

I'm agreeing with truthful's post. I have an '86, and she does have a stout mainspring.