In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1873 dates

Standing ElkStanding Elk Member Posts: 6

What are the serial number ranges for the first, second and thire model 73s. I need to look for a few parts for mine but don't know which model I have. Thanks

Comments

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

The 1873 Winchester models are best identified by the dust cover on top of the action. Serial number ranges are often only approximate on many old guns due to manually recorded records, errors, etc. And changeover dates from model to model were rarely cut and dried things. Winchester and others never tossed out good parts just because a certain date or SN was reached. A Model 1 dust cover slides in grooves machined into the frame, and has a checkered "thumbprint" on top of the cover. The serial numbers run from 1 to roughly 31,000. A Model 2 dust cover rides on a rail screwed onto the top of the frame. Most have the "thumbprint" on top. Serial numbers are roughlly 31,000 to circa 90,000. A Model 3 has a dust cover sliding on a rail like the Model 2 except the rail is machined onto the top of the action, no screws. The edges of the cover are serrated and no "thumbprint". The Model 3 ranged from roughly 90,000 to the end of production.

If you have a Model 1, there are a few small changes that were made during that Model's production that could impact your parts needed. Keep in mind that near the end of production, a parts cleanup assembled guns using whatever parts were still left over.

• 1873man1873man Member Posts: 128 ✭✭

The first models will have a unique receiver, lower tang, bolt, firing pin, dust cover and lever. They went to 30,000 with the open tops at 27,000 and then a transitional lower tang starting at 28,000 with 1st models mixed in and by 30,000 the 2nd model started. The 2nd model has a lower tang that attaches differently and the top dust cover rail is screwed to the receiver. The dust covers have a thumb print checkering pattern and then was replaced with the side serrations which then continued into the 3rd models which first appeared at 88,000 and were intermixed with 2nd models until the 2nd models disappeared around 101,000 . The third models had again a different receiver and lower tang attaching method and the dust cover rail was machined as part of the receiver.

Bob

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Standing ElkStanding Elk Member Posts: 6

Thanks fellas, Apears mine is a 3rd model.