In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping to FFL based on FFL Number, e.g. 1-22-XXX-XX-XX-34567

ophannaophanna Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Years ago I had a dealer who I was shipping to refuse to send me (a private individual) a copy of their FFL to send to and instead just gave me the first three digits and the last five digits, like 1-22-XXX-XX-XX-34567, and said that I could verify that as belonging to them (using FFLEZCheck, https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/FFLEzCheck/) and that it was legal to ship based on that. Does anyone know if that's true, or not?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2022

It is true: only licensees (those who hold FFLs) are required to exchange copies. For several years the ATF has advised FFL's NOT to send copies of their licenses to non licensees.

• Options

Wow! That is great. Thank you, Mark.

• Options

Well, after a little more reading, I'm still confused. GunBroker has this information, https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/221970147 which includes "NOTE: ATF policy states: a certified copy of the FFL is REQUIRED to complete any interstate firearm transaction. The ATF will now accept a faxed or emailed copy of a certified FFL; the ATF recommends you verify the license using their online  FFL eZCheck system prior to shipping an item."

And the FLEZCheck website, after checking a license, displays "The data obtained from this site is not a substitute for a certified copy of the license." near the bottom of the page.

The ATF letter Mark references discusses verifying a dealer before sending them money. Not exactly the situation here, where a private citizen wants to ship to a dealer.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2022

And the FLEZCheck website, after checking a license, displays "The data obtained from this site is not a substitute for a certified copy of the license." near the bottom of the page.

That means that FFL can't use the EZ Check system in place of certified copies of their FFL.

You are not a FFL, so you can use the EZCheck. I'm a dealer. I cannot.

As for Gun Broker, they are in the business of auctioning other peoples guns and and not selling and shipping their own.

The ATF letter is the first and last word.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

ATF agent came by a couple years ago for an inspection.

Quote " do not share your FFL info with non FFL holders".

Went so far as to even say that your FFL copy should be posted in your place of business but displayed with numbers concealed.

And he did say you shoud be well armed at all times. Go figure.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

This is correct EXCEPT for those of us that hold an 03 C&R FFL. Those cannot be verified in the EZ Check system- but that CAN be verified by a phone call to the ATF