In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of S&W Box

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I have been watching the auction of a blue cardboard box with red interior. With over a week to go it is already over $318. It's for a 38-44. I have the gun and thought I'd buy the box. When it went over $50 I was done. I know that price is determined by supply, demand, and condition, but I am surprised by the price that this box is bringing. Please help me understand why this box is so valuable. I only paid $300 for the handgun about 7 years ago. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen boxes go for $1200.00 before. For some folks with a high grade rare gun without the box it must be worth paying for the box.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Just about anything S&W are bringing good plus prices. The older stuff, like what you are looking for are at the top of the range.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭

"Real" serious collectors want the entire package and that "red box" Smith adds hundreds to the firearm it belongs in. I have passed on many items that were not "complete" since I know in the long run paying the extra will add value and hold its own and then some... My opinion only.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭

Well, for one thing, most of the revolvers have survived, while most of the boxes have not.

I have thrown away many boxes new guns came in simply because I had nowhere to store them. I have guns I bought new 50+ years ago. Who wants to have a room full of empty boxes for most of their lifetime?

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

You think boxes are bad, check out the cleaning kits and the SAT's (sight adjusting tools), or screwdrivers that were included in the cleaning kits for the earlier guns....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921510671