In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suing to keep employees at work?

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭

Hospital trying to stop employees from going to a better paying job.

How do you see this playing out?

www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/column-when-a-medical-team-quit-this-hospital-sued-to-force-them-to-keep-working/ar-AAT63U3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Granted, it is a healthcare issue, but why set a precedence?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

If the employees are part of a union they are screwed.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

How so? I have quit a couple of union jobs to get better pay/conditions. Always gave two week's notice, even though the Company wouldn't do that before firing me.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

Well, I guess it would depend on the terms of the union agreement. For healthcare workers, it's rarely going in the employee's favor.

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Well, If I was "forced" to go back, we'd dang sure be renegotiating our terms! 💰️

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

LS&D, I can't help but wonder about the quality of work from someone that is forced to work. I sure wouldn't want them to be building Buicks or F-16s.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭

I've never been so lucky to get a sponge bath. With my luck it would be by Bruno anyway. IV's could be really bad though.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I heard about this case on Letto's Law (you-tube channel) the workers are "At Will" . They can not be forced to work for the origional hospital, but untill an injunction is settled (supposed to be done today) they can't work for the second hospital. So they are in limbo.

• Options

Totally ridiculous! I'd sue the original hospital and the judge for lost time, mental anguish, and legal fees! Why would I work for $40(?) and hour when I could get $50(?) at another place? They offered the first place a chance to meet or beat the second place, and they refused. Labor is sold to the highest bidder everywhere. It's called "free enterprise"!

• Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Follow up. The judge canceled the injunction, the workers are allowed to work for the second hospital. The lawsuit is still ongoing. Have not heard about a non-compete clause, don't think there is one.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

No doubt that sponge bath is gonna be UNCOMFORTABLE!!!

Yep, lots of concerns

What about the anxl exam? It might not even be listed on your billing. (like a freebie)

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭

A young lady I knew a few years ago worked as sales for a large company and signed a non-compete agreement.In a couple of years she went to work for the another company.The first company took her to court and the judges decision was she could not work for the new company,but since the first company had taken away her income they would have to pay her salary until she found another job.The old company decided to not hold her to the non-compete agreement.I dont know if it was because it was in a right to work state,or that she was one of the prettiest women most of us had ever seen.

• Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭

Don't they call that slavery?

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭

My paternal Grandmother and her sister were indentured servants (slaves) to a Dr. Herter in Hungary. They worked without pay for several years. My Aunt even had a son by Dr. Herter. This would have been back in the late 1800s. They lived in his house and were fed after the Herter's had their meal.

My Great Grandmother had surgery by Dr. Herter, and the only way they could pay him was to enslave the 2 girls for a specified time, then they were released.

Joe