In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Solvent traps?

BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭✭

I keep seeing these for sale and have wondered about their legality;

Guess I don't have to wonder anymore. Try to skirt the law and you can get burned. I believe suppressors should be legal without going through the federal permit process but the law is there and it isn't worth it to try and bypass or ignore it. Just my 2¢. Bob

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

$1 million in sales? He's not some hobbyist tinkering out in the garage; He was reselling for profit. He knew exactly what he was doing and understood the risks he was running. Now it's time to pay up...in federal court.

• Options

I do wonder if he kept records of all the folks he sold them to. If I was one of them, that "solvent trap" would be melted down to *, just in case someone came looking. Bob

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭

Same principle as an 80% lower.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭

Any further information on his dog, son, and wife? Are they still alive?

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭

There were folks lining up at a Gun Show to buy these "kits". No paperwork ,so no trail as to who bought them. Selling for 2x3 times the $$$ as seen on internet ads.

As long as the internal (baffles) and one end component do not have the holes drilled, these, might not be considered suppressors. Aka Fuel Solvent Traps.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options

Well I am now probably on a govt list somewhere. I have been visiting some of the solvent trap websites just to see what they have to say. I have never seen a more disingenuous, double talk, tongue in cheek bunch of B.S. any where. It was more B.S. than you will see at a political convention. All sites say it is illegal to convert their expensive traps into suppressor but then basically tell you how it is done. Some do mention that you should get a atf form one to do it legally, wink, wink. I wasn't aware that cleaning my AR requires a titanium multi chambered solvent trap. I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years. And the fact that I need a caliber specific trap to catch the patches and solvent apparently is a must.

I guess I am behind the curve on learning the details of these traps. Even though I have seen them advertised for years, I didn't realize what a big business this apparently is. I was kind of hoping that during the last administration the restrictions on suppressors would be lifted, but obviously they weren't. The more these folks skirt the laws, the more the outcry will be to never remove those restrictions.

O.K. I am done ranting for now. Bob

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭

They are all over the auction side.

I don’t think it’s right to control them, but no way would I poke the bear with something like that.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2022

That will probably change. Years ago, this was the issue with the STEN tubes, which in many cases had the areas which required cutting bonded to the tube itself. Although they were clearly sold for "Semi auto builds only," the plans would just as easily allow for the tube to turned into a MG.

Gun Broker disallowed the sale of the complete tubes several years ago, although flat stamped metal, which needs to be rolled and then welded, are still allowed.

There were a few protests in the forums about that policy, but Captain Fun made quick work of them.

Plastic badge or not, I wish that I had the same resolve about ridding the forum of agitators, and those looking for nothing more than to stir the pot.

• Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭

they are not worth the money!!!!!

friend of mine got one for a 22. they are very quiet with sub sonic ammo . but as far as accuracy, FORGET IT!. the best he could get was a 10" group at 40 '

LOL. i watched him as he removed it cussing, then threw it in the dirt, then got it and took a sledge to it