In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nephew is Getting a New Puppy Today

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Andy is an upland game hunter, primarily grouse and woodcock. His GSH pointer died of cancer on Thanksgiving day. A hunting buddy advised him of a 3 month old English Setter puppy that needed to be re-homed (@$500) so he's heading out on a 50 mile trip today to get it. Any advice on differences between German shorthairs and English setters? And is there a book called "dog training for dummys"? I'd like to get one for him.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭

Sure is Ambrose. "Dog Training for Dummies" by Wendy Volhard. Available on a site that we don't talk about here.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭

Get a good comb, you will need it more for the setter. I got the book is a good one. J

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭

Right gesshots, Chewy has a warehouse about 16 miles from me. My wife orders things from them all the time. She usually gets it the following day.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

The German Shorthairs I've known were more similar in temperament to a Lab. The English Setters I've spent time with were quite a bit higher strung. All good dogs, just different energy levels. Shorthairs can be happy lounging around with the family. Setters require a bit more activity. That's been my own experience anyway.

+1 on chewy.com We've been using them for years. Any issues we ever had were handled quickly and they've given us LOTS of free merchandise to keep us happy. Great customer service! None of this crap about emailing some nameless entity in "customer support". You call, you talk to an English speaking human being. Even sent us a card expressing their condolences on the death of our kitty. Can't say enough good about them.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

I've used a book called GUN DOG by Richard A. Wolters to train the 3 English Pointers I've had over the years to hunt quail and pheasant. The book shows how to train dogs to work by hand and whistle, with a lot of pictures. Everyone liked to hunt behind my Pointers. Don't hunt anymore (not many quail or pheasants in Lower AL) but still have a pointer we play around in the woods he works to hand signals great. Hope this helps the book is old but if you can find it, it's well worth it.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks rivethook, I'll see if I can find it. Andy has trouble with dog training: His dogs are usually kind of wild.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Books help with training but nothing replaces time in the field to let the dog's breeding come out. If it's in them time and experience will hone it. Teach basic handling then hunt.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

May he have many yrs of enjoyment from the dog

• Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Scout 5 is right it took me several hunting trips to realize the dog knew more where the birds were than where I thought they were!!

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who came here for a dog pic?

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******

those two breeds are nothing alike.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain