In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When you are 96

SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

I watch this judge on Youtube once in awhile because he is very funny.

But this case was not funny but went viral around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ7pCB4g3sU

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,700 ******

Just remember, you going to be old someday, if you're lucky.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Mom quit driving 2 yrs ago at 92. Her car is sitting in my garage.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

truly a sad situation that there is not or no one helped them get assistance for his son to get to the doctors and test

and we spend billions on the POS illegals and homeless drug addict's

all I can add there will be exceptions to any thing . I agree at 96 he should at least have some one ride along to see how capable he is.

my dad one of the last times I rode with him he had lost night vision ( I feel his pain now ) any way he drove me home after working on his car I noticed we would be 1/2 way thru a curve before he noticed ..🤨 but he had driven all his life and never had a accident that was his fault cancer ended his driving RIP Dad

I had a uncle who like most all my moms family developed dementia and Alzheimers he got lost in the Walmart parking lot drove around looking for a way out not sure how long and next time drove miles past the place looking for it , before him and his wife realized and sen a doctor about what was going on , however cancer took him just a couple months later RIP uncle tom

I had fast growing cataracts about two years ago with in just a couple weeks my vision fast while waiting on my surgery's I would not drive , my vision had got so bad I was scared I was going to hurt some innocent person or family .

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭

Dad was 88 and was one safe driver but drove like a bat out of hell. Virginia State Trooper followed him for about five miles one day and gassed up next to dad. He asked dad "Young fella might I ask you how old you are. I have been following you for about five miles and you are one darn good driver" Dad said 88 and I only have one eye also. Trooper was amazed. Eye blown out with a dynamite cap when he was around 11/12 years old -----------------Ray

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Have to add this in I had a old farmer neighbor like most stubborn fellows

He had a parade of Leo following him in town one day trying to pull him over he said I did not know you were after me he had ran a stop sign

The court pulled his licenses next day he went and bought a new jd tractor and drove it evey where lol

He died in the house he was born in heart attack he had to be in his 80's his dad died same way same house

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******

Anybody remember that old western actor and stuntman Richard Farnsworth?

I liked him a lot for his work in many westerns, but his last movie before he did himself in was a movie called "The Straight Story". An old man makes a long journey by lawnmower to mend his relationship with an ill brother. The Straight Story (1999) - IMDb

About all I can add to this discussion is just the thought of losing one's drivers license is like losing a whole bunch of FREEDOM in the stroke of a judges gavel or stroke of a pen! Downright scary as well as a near death sentence to an elderly person.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭

I still laugh when I think of or watch Farnsworth’s Olympia Beer commercial. Yeah, I am old enuff to remember it!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options

Dad lived in rural Fluvanna County, Virginia. and he drove right up to the end at 88. He was very independent, lived alone and did everything for himself. If he got sick my sister would help him or i would come down from NY and take care of him. His huge garden was his pride and joy and he loved to take his vegetables to the Farmers Market, mostly to talk to his friends I think. He went everywhere with his car and would have been totally lost without it. He only had one eye and carried his oxygen with him. Nothing stopped him. He had a mail carrier who was a sweetheart who walked over 100 yards every day for years and delivered his mail to his back door and talked to him. Many times she brought dad a dozen eggs from her farm. At Dad's funeral i gave Carol a huge picture of dads place taken from a hot air balloon to remember Dad by. Carol was one of a kind and dad named her in his will.

My best friend and hunting partner who passed away a year ago was forced to take his dad's driving license away many years ago. His dad had run in a ditch several times and local police insisted that he stop driving. He was pushing 90. Many times Gerhard could not reach his dad on the phone and we would drive over to check on him. He would be sitting in his car facing the lake where he lived, with his hands on the steering wheel crying away. Not a pretty end for a soldier who survived the Siege of Leningrad.-----------Ray

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭

When you first get your driver's license, your world expands TREMENDOUSLY. But none of us ever think- when it is time to stop, you world gets smaller- tremendously. My bride had a genetic disease called Huntington's Disease. No cure, very little treatment, attacks your central nervous system, and oh yeah- 100% fatal.

She had made it to 67 still driving- which is older than most people with HD. But her driving had gotten worse. One of our local staties sat down with the two of us, and backed me up- you are not driving safely any more. If you won't voluntarily give it up, we can require a medical exam, and you will not pass it. Thank God she accepted that.

Over the next few years she gradually lost her ability to walk, stand, talk. Yes, dementia comes in there as well. She died a year ago. I'm healthy- but I am now 72, and there IS going to be a time when I am going to need to let someone else drive- and the same to everyone of you (if you are lucky and live that long)

When it is my time I hope that I can have as much grace as my bride did.

• Options
    edited February 2022

chme, So sorry about your wife. May she RIP. Dad was a great driver for 88 years and you are just a young fella at 72. Hang in there and wishing you many more good driving years.--------Ray

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 76, never had a ticket, only 2 accidents (one tree hit avoiding a deer, the other not my fault). I maintain both of our vehicles with a passion, tires, brakes, wiper blades, all that stuff we don't realize can contribute to accidents. I'm aware that some day I may not be able to drive on my own, but hope that by then I won't give a damn.

• Options

any one remember the line from days of thunder

"I want you to go out there and hit hit pace car "

that would sum up my younger years not bragging but I crashed and messed up a lot of cars . that I wish I had now

and lucky no one was ever hurt