In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Should I report it stolen?

bc3660bc3660 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in Ask the Experts

I bought a gun here and USPS says they delivered it yesterday at 1030am. FFL says they dont have it. Should I report it as stolen to police?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Did you talk to someone at the post office or are you just going by the tracking # on their website? Your local postmaster should be able to help. Unfortunately, the post office will be closed until tuesday because of the federal holiday. If this does not work and your ffl does not have it, then yes I would report it stolen. Bob

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

The shipper is the one who makes the claim. Even though you may have paid for the postage and insurance, the shipper is the one who actually bought the service. Unless you are the actual recipient(which obviously you are not since it was addressed to the FFL), you have no real legal claim or interest in the problem.

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a good idea to file a police report. I certainly believe you are an interested party.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

Items/shipments lost or stolen within the USPS system will be investigated by the Postal Inspection Service. You can 'file' all the reports you want but the local Barney Phife squad has no jurisdiction unless the theft occurred after delivery.

• VGUN1VGUN1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭

"ALL" FIREARMS ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE A SIGNATURE TO BE DELIVERED. SEE WHO SIGNED FOR THE GUN> VGUN1

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

The USPS will have who signed for it, put the tracking info in on their website and it will show who signed for it. Go from there. Could be employee and they set it aside.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I would advise the seller to start with.

• AlbinsFirearmsAlbinsFirearms Member Posts: 14

I'm an FFL and I receive shipments frequently from other FFL's which do not require signatures. That is a way to save $6 - $7 in shipping fees. Gunbroker on the other hand does require an adult signature of firearm shipments. Hopefully your shipment did require a signature and the USPS should be able to provide you with that information. I have also had buyers contact me with similar stories as yours in that their local FFL told them that a firearm had not been received, when in fact the tracking history showed that it had been received several days prior and also the name of the person who had signed for the package. Contact the local Post Office directly and clarify with them when it was delivered and if someone signed for it. The USPS is also bad in some areas about making attempts to deliver packages and if unsuccessful, then holding the package until someone comes to claim it. If not claimed within 15 days or so, then it is returned to the sender.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

Partially true. I have found that the BATFE is interested in the loss or theft of firearms in interstate shipment, but they don't enter the missing items into NCIC. My UPS driver caused a firearm to be lost and unrecoverable. I reported to the shipper, the BATFE, and to the Sheriff, in order for it to be entered into the NCIC/TCIC system.

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
This discussion has been closed.