In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto Parts

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

I've got an old pick up with 504,000 miles on it. One of the upper ball joints has a busted rubber boot so instead of just changing out the ball joint,I am going to replace the control arms because at that mileage I would think the control arm bushings are due and I will go ahead and do both sides.I was looking at parts on Ebay and the parts are so cheap I am leery of the quality, especially on steering components.Anybody used any of these parts? Good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

NO. Pay the money and buy the best parts you can find and hope they are good. It can be a big problem finding "good" parts these days, and do you really want to do that job twice?? Not to mention it/s probably not much fun having a control arm break while you are driving. I bought good ceramic brake pads at O'reilly this week. I look up my part number, call them, they have them at the counter waiting when I get there. I buy the best parts, paint or anything else that takes a lot of labor to use. I hate doing the same job twice.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

Agree. I bought brake pads one and had to grind the ears to get them to fit in the calipers. Rockauto.com usually has a range of prices for each part. From good to better to best.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭

Stay away from those cheapies. They can be a pain to return or warranty if they don't work or fail prematurely. Nothing wrong with most parts online, just stick with name brands from known sellers.

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I buy A LOT from Rock Auto. They give you a choice of how much you want to spend

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin

What Ricci, and Jimderre, andB17-P51 said. I shop both O'riellys, and Rock Auto. Look up the parts yourself. Rock Auto offers several qualities of parts. DO NOT buy the cheap ones. Buy Moog chassis parts. O'Riellys also has several qualities of parts. If you go into the store, and say I want yadda yadda yadda to fit yadda, they automatically give you the cheapest crap. That is what most people seem to want. Look them up yourself on their website, and go into the store(or call)with part numbers. Buy good stuff, DO NOT buy the cheap parts. Buy Moog chassis parts.

I just recently put upper and lower ball joints in a fellas 2002 Dodge 3500 4x4. O'Riellys Master pro brand was $35.99/ea. I need four ball joints. I bought the made in America Moog ball joints at $100.99 each.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

I've been told that Rock Auto buys a lot of their parts from auto dealers. The parts are generally new old stock obsolete, and are basically brand new with a protective cover of dust.

Joe

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

EXCEPT.......... I buy the cheapest softest disc brake pads I can get for my Land Rover. Sure, I replace them every couple years, but it's 15 minutes per corner and my rotors are still within factory spec after 26 years. The pads are sacrificial, to save the price of rotors.

If it's something like timing chains and oil pumps? Get the best parts they have, or can get their hands on.

And change your oil. Oil is always cheaper than metal.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

I started buying parts from rock auto some time ago ( years ) I use to use the local parts places I still do if its a got to have it common part and do not have time to wait a few days , but that's not a problem any more and most of the time when I would go into town I hear from the local parts places well we can order it ... well no crap so can I 😣

rock auto you can pick and choose the parts by price customer feed back or just what you like and want to spend I have even found close out deals on items . and they have a return and core charge and have always been good to work with no complaints both my sons also use rock auto woth a look just my 2 cents

stick with name brands and any more that's not a sure thing last I herad NAPA is also a decent place to get better parts or have been in the past

I watch a some of the of you tube car guys all have complained about buying brand new some even brand names that were all USA at one time they get defective parts all coming from china what a Suprise parts look OK but things like cams and lifters not machined right , one fellow picked up three different "remanufactured carb " for his truck from a well know parts place every one was bad just example's and many more parts are called out

sad but what we have any more to deal with

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Another PLUS for Rock Auto even though they screwed me for almost $100 on a sensor that was no good right out of the box (someone's pre-damaged return??). We buy lots of filters, shocks, and brake parts @ !/2 price or less. I'd guess Son and I buy $1500-2000 in parts from RA yearly.

Shop the selection and try to get all your parts from one warehouse to save on shipping.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Look at rockauto.

Also while buying look at their windshield wipers (dirt cheap prices) for name brand vs wal mart and other places,

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭

I personally like NAPA, around here they still employee real vehicle guys with real parts knowledge (not sales clerks) and quality parts.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,348 ******

Another plus for rockauto here, I always check them out then also go to oreilly and autozones websites to compare and as said above they have choices on prices and whether I need it today or not.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks all.Everyone pretty much verified my thought on cheap parts.I will give RockAuto a try.

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭

Rock Auto if you have time to wait for it to be shipped to you. Good selection and usually quite a bit cheaper than local parts stores

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭

I have known the guy who owns the local NAPA store for 45 years. He will look up a part I purchased in his computer and tell me when I bought it and warranty it. I always buy local if I can.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

Years Go several parts places in town and the counters were handled by people who actually knew cars and parts a older fellow at Napa he had most the parts memorized for most allcommon parts

I also remember I sure most of you do the parts interchange books that took up half the counter lol

The what I would call box store parts places do ok but local napa store still seems to keep actual car people working that have a clue . Nothing wrong with using a computer millions of parts now just a small rant about days gone by I guess

By the way check Amazon they also have a huge selection and right there with rock auto in cost and free shipping if your a member

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

Not related but relevant with Amazon. Needed tune up and brake parts for my gas EZGO golf cart. Everything they had listed was cheap but was also Chinese!

I bought the parts but kept getting bad coils that would work just long enough to get 5 miles out in the boonies then failure! Sure they were easily returned but not worth all the hassles of being stranded. I have pretty much given up on Amazon for a few other reasons. I like to buy local and buy quality made in the USA IF it is possible!

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

Parts like bearings in the past I would always buy good old made in the USA Timken bearings. The last Timken bearings I bought I noticed it's got USA on the box but if you read closely it says "Assembled in USA" not made in the USA. So that means it's made from the same old cheap crap that other Chinese bearings are made from . Might as well buy the cheap crap assembled in China it's the same stuff.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

I learned a log time ago that "life time" brake pads are no bargain.