In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home Depot Military Discount

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭

They accepted my Veterans card tonight but said I had to set up account and get verified. This i did but now they say i have to have a smart phone that will scan a QR code. Many of us older vets don't have the smart phones but only carry the flip phones. I spent over a half hour on their chat line tonight and ran into a brick wall. If you will recall Home Depot a few years back would not give The discount except to active duty and disabled. I called Corporate and cancelled my HD card because of this. Shortly after that they started to accept my Veterans card again. I think they are playing games again and want to track everything ( data mining?) Lowes is about an extra 1.5 miles for me. I won't get a smart phone. Any ideas out there fellas?

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,351 ******

The closest HD store to me will only give military discounts on Veterans Day. If I drive another 45 miles to the next nearest, I save 10% on all purchases any time.

It seems that each individual store has its own rules. I really do not like HD much anyway and shop at Maynards.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭

just what brooks said, ours won't give one unless retired/disables vet, I go to lowes all the time now.......

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭

Same here I go to Lowes luckily they are only a few miles from HD.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭

My HD required me to go to their website to register. The website wanted me to send them a copy of my DD240 to prove eligibility. Screw that. Not sending that kind of info to a faceless company that might do anything with it.

Lowes is MUCH simpler and safer to register. And it's good at any Lowe's, because their policy is good company-wide.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

I took my DD-214 to the state motor vehicles administration the last time I had to renew my drivers license; they gave me a new license with a VETERAN endorsement. Everyone (except the VA) accepts that.

Neal

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

"My HD required me to go to their website to register. The website wanted me to send them a copy of my DD240 to prove eligibility. Screw that. Not sending that kind of info to a faceless company that might do anything with it."

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

screw Home Depot, I asked for the military discount. They said "Do all this $#!@ and we'll see if you qualify". I showed my American Legion card and said "This is all you get" which of course wasn't good enough. I stomped out and went across the street to Menards where the prices are lower to begin with and I can milk their 11% discount system plus another 2% for using their "Big Card" credit card.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭

Lowes for me anyday. HD nothing.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Both Home Depot and Lowes are moving to the online registration process. They use the “ID.me” secure online service to verify your status. The VA and other govt and private sources also use “ID.me.” Very common. Registration is pretty painless, and it’s actually very handy so you can order online, get your discount, and pickup your stuff curbside. There used to be no way to get the discount for an online purchase.

As far as in the store, they’re just pushing everyone to get registered. If they won’t enter manually, ask for a manager. I carry my phone as little as possible, and have no interest in putting their app on it. Hence, they enter it manually for me every trip. A manager can ALWAYS enter a discount….military or otherwise.

• Options

I had to use ID.me recently for something else and it was indeed painless. To prove I'm a veteran, I just had to show that I use USAA insurance. Thought that was pretty slick and safer than transmitting documents online.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,348 ******

I use Lowes pretty much because their process wasn't to bad, HD was inconsistent as stated. As for ID.me they can be a pain in the backside if you change phone numbers, took a week for their support people to respond to tell me that my phone number change was the issue and that they couldn't fix it without and online live chat session with 3rd party moderator... I got a DS Login instead and did phone number change over the phone with a guy that spoke english and lived in the USA.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Rocky is right. It was painless to get verified, however I don't have a smart phone and i won't let HD force me to get one. It is a slick way for HD to get you to open a account.

i bought a dishwasher a few months back from HD and it took me two months to get rid of HD's damn e-mails and survey request.

It took an Act of God to get "Veteran" on my drivers license. DD214 and the whole nine yards. That really should be enough.

I just think HD took something simple and made it complicated. At Lowes they ask for my phone number and it is a done deal. Heck, at my second home in Central Virginia they even thank me for my service which is nice but not necessary.

I think i will just keep showing my veterans card and if it gets refused i will ask for manager. I will show him my Vet Card, my Drivers License and maybe i will carry a copy of my DD214 in my wallet. If all that fails I will cross HD off my list and go to Lowes all the time or at least until they change their policy.

Thanks for all your comments and keep them coming.------------------------Ray

• Options

I don't use a smart phone on a daily basis either. Have one but seldom even turn it on. And never give out the number.

Isn't it interesting that almost every agency now just presumes that every living person has a smart phone? "Just scan this with your phone" or "We'll send this code to your phone."

When I hear that and ask, "What phone ?" they go blank-faced.

I was once told that a smart phone was required to use some government thing or other, so I asked when they would issue me one. Again, a blank stare.

• Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I set up a veteran's discount at Lowes some time ago. As I recall, I needed my DD214 and someone at the service desk did the rest. Now, all I need to do is provide my phone # and Lowes applies their discount. Not valid for items on sale but still nice.

• Options

Rocky, what a great way to get votes. A "Government Issued Smartphone" What's next, call in your ballot? God help us.--------------------Ray

• Options

Yeah, Ray, I know. Understand that I wouldn't accept a Goobermint phone because I'm positive the damn thing would record everything I say whether on a call or not, and track me besides. They may all do that anyway, but I'm damn sure a Goobermint phone would.

I just hate it when people assume things about me, such as that I'm on Facebook and have a smart phone in my hands 24/7.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭

I tried to sign up for the Vet's discount at Home Depot but they told me that their discounts for Veterans was only for active or disabled veterans so I buy everything from Lowe's now.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options

bullshot, was this recently or a long time ago? ---------------------Ray

• Options
    edited February 2022

Cutoff was Feb.14th but they accepted my Veterans card last night for discount.

Had a sit down about one hour ago with Operations Manager of local HD. If I mention his name I will get discount even if it has to be entered as Customer Satisfaction. Of course at any other HD, it is pot luck. I can't complain and I darned sure am not going to buy a Smart Phone.--------------------------Ray

PS: I forgot, there is a $400 limit per year on discounts allowed at HD.

Anyone know what the limit is at Lowes?

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭

Had my driver's lis. "punched" indicating my veteran status. Many years ago showed this at Lowes to register and every since been using it. They just for my ph.# now. Home Depot at that time didn't offer discount. Told them they were losing alot of business due to this and found out maybe a good year later they were now offering this discount. Still use Lowes 95% of the time.

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

In the Omaha metro, on the Iowa side, there is Menards and home Depot.

One hour away from me. Closest Lowe's is in Omaha, addition mileage, and having to enter Nebraska. Ewwww.

Menard's in Counciltucky has substandard materials.

Home Depot has better quality.

Lowe's in Omaha is slightly higher quality than Home Depot.

Menard's is cheap, for a substandard product. Home Depot is a lot cheaper than Lowe's. Home Depot in Counciltucky gives me a 10% discount, and a thanks for your service, 365 days a year, or the days they're actually open, anyhoots.

No brainer.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,941 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to beat Lowes

• Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭

I feel the same way about Home Depot. It's not well lit, hard to find things, and while my nearest store gives me the 10% no questions, some in other states don't...or give me a hassle. I always go to my Lowe's in Papillion, NE now. Friendly and they know me and always say "thanks for your service". AND they appreciate that I open carry there.

By the way, I feel the same about entering Iowa....ewwwwww. There's a REASON it's called "Counciltucky". And "Awfullottame county". And at least we build our highways so they don't flood every time it rains. But you're insulting Nebraska???? Funny--you must not travel a lot. 😉

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Lol.

I've found my local lumber yard is the cheapest for me. Don't have to drive an hour, and the sales people know construction.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Before anyone jumps on Mr, let me state up front that as a military spouse I served right beside my husband, 34 years. Anywho, went into Lowes and attempted to get the military discount with my valid, current military ID.

Register folks said no, go to customer service. Again, they said no, I had to have my Veteran husband vouch for me. I examined that he had passed away in 2017 and thus was unable to do so. Asked for the manager, got the same answer from him. Reiterated that my husband had passed away. Dumbest answer I ever got, "Well we need him to verify you are his spouse."

HD, I show my ID, get the discount and walk out.

• Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭

Susie, that was clearly ridiculous and you deserve to be outraged. Again, however, it seems like the manager sets the tone for the store. However, Lowe's POLICY is military discounts, to ALL who have valid military ID.

And thank you for your service. I KNOW that spouses "serve" also.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

I think I would just drive the 1.5 miles extra. It may be different other places, but Lowes around these parts carries product that is superior to HD in just about every category. I try to avoid HD just because of the product quality.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

I agree, and usually i do drive the little extra, especially if i am looking to purchase lumber.-----------Ray

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

I only deal with HD if the other local folks are out of an item

• Options
    edited February 2022