In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chrome, Edge, and Firefox users...

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

Be aware that when your browser updates to Version 100, it might "break" some of your favorite websites, making them unviewable.

That's because (as I understand it) when your website queries your browser which version it is to optimize viewing, the website may not understand a three-digit version number. Yahoo is one such website, I'm told. Until each website makes changes to accept three-digit version numbers, they may be unusable on those browsers.

All three of those browsers are now getting close to their own version 100 updates. You may wish to download a "backup" browser just in case. There are dozens of free browsers to choose from. Opera, Vivaldi, and (my favorite) Brave are only three examples.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Hmm, reminds me of all the changes that needed to be made in COBAL programs to accept the change to the year 2000 to make sure the apps didn’t think it was now 1900 (AKA Y2K). And there were a lot of changes that needed to be made!

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,331 ******

Are those site operators wholly unaware of that possibility?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

I have no way of knowing who knows what about anything.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I updated my chromer late last week. Everything worked fine, except the gb auction side made me check that I wasn't a robot every time I went there for the first few days. Seems to be working fine now.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

2038 is the REAL Y2K. I hope I'm retired and living far away from computers when that comes around.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Nanuq907, for a guy that grew-up with DOS, please explain 2038.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Warning, Geek Speak to ensue. Please be patient.

Most big computer systems run on a flavor of UNIX. In UNIX, dates are stored as a "unix timestamp", a "unix epoch time" or simply, a "timestamp". A timestamp is defined in UNIX as the number of seconds elapsed since midnight, January 01, 1970 UTC. If the date is stored in a signed 32-bit integer (common) then when the timestamp reaches 03:14:07 on January 19th, 2038 UTC it will have counted up to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Adding one more second will make it 2,147,483,648 but that number cannot be stored as a positive signed 32-bit integer. So it will flip the signed bit and the new number will be negative 2,147,483,648 seconds, or December 13th 1901 at 20:45:52 UTC.

No bueno.

The answer is for everyone to be on 64-bit architecture by then, and that all the coders will have gone through ALL of their legacy code to eradicate signed 32-bit integer timestamps.

I think I'll be on a beach somewhere. I smell a piña colada in that future, maybe two.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

well all I can say

beyond my pay scale

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited February 2022

I already pay enough in taxes. I make good and sure I stay far, far away from BRAIN TAX! 😁

• Options
    edited February 2022

If you would like a very simple, safe, and secure browser that is ideal for mobile platforms, check out Midori. It features very fast page loading, no ads, no tracking, and many other features. And, it's free.

https://astian.org/en/midori-browser/

Sorry, it isn't available for iOS yet, but that's coming soon.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Well that clears it up. Thanks Nanuq907. 😉

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

This is most dire

Hopefully it is not as bad as transitioning to the year 2000.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Firefox will not work on one bank I use

• Options

I had that same issue with Firefox and a bank. For reasons beyond my pay grade, no browser works with all websites, and vice versa. When websites are designed, they try to test them with as many browsers as possible, but they can't test them all. Some are simply incompatible.

That's why you should always have a backup browser or two installed and ready to use. As much as I hate it for its duplicity and tracking, Chrome is the #1 used browser, and every web designer designs for it.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Nanuq, for the explanation. I'm pretty sure I'll be 6 feet under by then, so I'm not going to worry about it.