In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Latest saga of my event filled life......son bought a motorcycle.

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭

He's a grown man....I'm not saying a word to him about it, but my tummy is flipping and I find myself just staring off into space every once in a while picturing him going down the road. I hope after he rides a bit I'll calm down.

The reason this has me so torn is that he HAS NEVER RODE A BIKE and has bought a Honda Shadow Phantom.....its not a little bike or a dirt bike. This thing is for getting out onto the highway in the traffic with all the weirdos and morons who might kill you.

He's going to practice on some less traffic filled areas and I've got a couple friends that ride who have said they will help him out....so I've got a lot of reasons to not worry as much as I am. It would be different if he knew anything at all about riding and bought this thing.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

That's no moped. It's actually bigger than the 650cc BMW which was my first street bike. I like to tease you about being the over protective momma bear, but motorcycle riding involves far more risk than driving a car.

Professional training should be the order of the day. Find a class which he can attend and then pay for it. If he counters that he doesn't need training or it is a waste of time and money, send him to the forums and we'll tell him otherwise.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad always told me to stay away from the horses, fast women, booze and motor cycles!

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

my 35yo son told me the other day he wanted me to sell him the Triumph thats been sitting in the barn for 4 years. hopefully i can sell it to someone else first.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Gave them up a long time ago. Didn't want to be paralyzed from a crash. It isn't the bike it is the 4 wheeler who doesn't see them .

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

That, is the best approach. At the end of the day it's much cheaper than scuffing up a new ride while learning and pro training ain't something to thumb yer nose at.

And I'll add two more suggestions.

Get a can or two of tennis balls and cut them in half. He can use those to lay out the practice patterns he'll find here. http://www.gwrra.org/regional/ridered/L-O-A/GWRRAMotorcyclePLPFacilitator%27sManual_4_08.pdf

Also, Jerry Palladino offers great training videos at a reasonable price. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Oh, yeah, there's a third. Get him on here talking to those of us who ride. I'd wager dog turd to a donut hole we could impress upon him the importance of safe riding practices plus a few tips he won't learn in BRC (Basic Riders Course).

Oh, and welcome him into the brotherhood for me.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭

That's the type of class usually required for a driver's license endorsement. Good basic fundamentals and well worth the money.

Now.....try to convince him to have a "no highways/no major roads" policy for a year while he becomes proficient at riding.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭

You have good cause to worry. Young men and motorcycles are a lethal combination. I speak from experience.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

select-fire Truer words were never spoken.

• Options

He laid it over in the yard the day he got it and broke a turn signal. I think it made him nervous enough to stop playing around with it and ask if "anyone I knew could go over things with him." I have lots of friends that ride, but they're as busy as I am.

I think we will probably have to get through the spring and summer at the very least.....there are so many bikes on the road on these pretty days. He looks at them the same way he used to look at Santa when he was little. I don't think I'm going to be able to stop this. I've convinced him that he has to get the license, fix the turn signal and get a riding jacket before he heads out. I actually thought I'd have to fight him a little more than I did on that. He's pretty nervous....but VERY excited about all of it.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

I hope he bought it used.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned some, not all, insurance companies give a discount for completing the BRC. And Don't cheap out on insurance either. Carry the most collision/comp coverage he can afford AND include PIP (personal injury protection).

• Options
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭

Mark is right about the riding courses. I have taken many courses including many advanced rider courses because you can never know too much. I have been riding motorcycles for 55 years in lots of conditions all over the US and Canada.

I have not had an accident. This is for several reasons. You must be in control of your bike ALL of the time.

Ride like no one sees you and never ever try to think your bike will win a battle with a car or truck.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

The worst thing you have to watch for is people that pull out in front of motorcycles in their cars and it's not entirely their fault. A person's brain gets programmed to look for cars when they're pulling out and it's so easy to miss seeing a motorcycle. I've rode motorcycles all my life and I've caught myself nearly pulling out in front of one in my car more than once.

My oldest son raced motorcycles from the time he was 9 years old until he was nearly 20 and never got seriously hurt but he's not been as lucky on the road. Luckily he was riding this motorcycle below with the longer fork when he had this crash as it pole-vaulted him over the car that pulled out in front of him and he never hit the car with his body. All he got was some scraps and bruises.

He was crawling around on the pavement just after it happened and some guy pulled up and stopped and asked if he was OK and Mark said yeah I'm OK I'm just trying to find my Rolex. ha ha It was a good watch. It didn't hurt it except for a few light scratches.

I had a guy nearly do me in on my motorcycle back in '66 when he made a left turn right into me nearly head on with his '55 Chevy as he suddenly decided to turn in at a grocery store. It was dusky dark and had just started sprinkling rain. All I had time to do was lift my left leg and then I went flying head over heels in the air and then came down to a sliding stop though the grocery store parking lot. I got a nasty scare on my face from my right cheek hitting the pavement and a bunch of scraps and bruises but nothing really serious. It tore the rear end out of my blue jeans on my right side. I think the doctor at the emergency enjoyed pulling gravel out of my rear with tweezers and then spraying the wound with something that burned like fire. Anyway after awhile I grew to like the scare on my face. I had girls tell me they thought it made me look tough back in high school. ha ha

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Times have changed when Harley dealers are giving riding lessons. A friend bought a Harley 30+ years ago but didn't want to drive it out of the dealership. So he asked me drive it home for him. Man, did they bust his chops.

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Full face helmet for sure. Modular if he doesn't want to take it off and on to grab a soda/snack while filling up. Helmet to protect his head and the shield will keep bugs out of his eyes and mouth.

Leather chaps help protect the legs from kick up rocks and bugs as well. Hitting a dragonfly doing 55 is no fun. Crash bars will keep the bike off of him if he lays it down on asphalt.

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

After the second wreck that wasn't my fault I gave it up.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭

Sold my horse at age 14 to buy my first 🏍. Rode regularly until about 6 years ago. Lots of daily commutes as well as cross country touring . Idiots on 4 wheels finally scared me into quitting. May buy another dirt bike to play with but likely done with much highway stuff . During those years seversl wrecks but lucky to survive with no injury .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭

I am sure he will do fine he may get scared and give it up ( I really hope not ) I had a lot of friends who loved there bikes but after the first bad crash or seeing a bad crash involving a bike they all decided not that great . one fellow cound not bring him self to sell his Harley so it sit for years untill he decided it was doing no one any good and parted with it , flip side I have friends who have rode for years and love every minute of it

I had one not long after wife and I married I use to trade cars trucks guns trailers what ever I loved to trade and way I traded for a triumph not your average bike it had been chopped customized in the true 60's extended front end that got to the intersection a minute before the rest of it LOL . It had the sissy bar and iron cross mirrors and one on the rear sissy bar best I can compare it too remember clint Eastwood any any which way you can the bikers that were his "fall guys " the leader had a bike that looked like mine LOL

I had never ridden a bike in my life but had no fear of speed or crashing so the first week after learing where th egears and brakes and clutch well the controls were I thought just a bycycle with a motor so off I went I would just open it up and go . no helmet ( only wussys wore them back then ) I remember looking at the road as I was traveling over a 100 mph and thinking thats going to hurt when I start sliding on thet gravel and black top about the same time a cousin of mine fell in love with it wife said sell it so I gave in

its the only toy I am requested to have another one . but doing 150+ mph in a car was OK with her go figure

• Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I hope you took the opportunity to enjoy at least 3 of the 4 at some point in life.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I will share, Ive owned a dozen or more bikes, ridden countless miles in all conditions.

Bikes can absolutely be ridden for decades. Good training, good gear and a defensive mindset and there is nothing like riding.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I've always said it's best to start on dirt bikes. Crashes don't hurt as much, they're easy to repair and you get a feel for what the bike's going to do in different situations. You develop the instant reflexes to "catch it" when it misbehaves. They're a hoot, and cheap to buy.

Then you can think about the pavement. Avoid busy roads, and pay attention to wet roads and crosswalks. Accept that you WILL crash a few times, and it will hurt a little more than on the dirt. Remember you're invisible, even when people are looking right at you. Get a bright headlight and use it. Loud pipes help too. Anticipate everything.

I crashed my road burner hard 11 times, and walked away from every wreck, got some scars, but don't have a limp. That's a pretty solid outcome in my book.

Anyone want to buy a road burner? I retired it because my reflexes are too slow now.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

You've had no accidents because you've been lucky. When a drunk suddenly crosses the center line and hits you head on or a tire blows out at 65 or 70 mph you're gonna crash no matter how good a rider you are. Then there's the little old lady that misses the brake peddle and hits the gas and runs over you from the back while your sitting at a traffic light. There's only 2 kinds of motorcycle riders...those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.

I would be afraid to get back on a motorcycle if I said "I've never had an accident" 'cause something is going to fall out of the sky and create a fiery crash with me in the middle of it . The cycle gods don't like being taunted.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Living life comes with risk. Young men have to live. Mother's have to worry. The best to both of you.

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

For all of you doing your best to be negative, get over yourselves.

Your irrational fear of motorcycles is no different than some other ignorant irrational fear of guns.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******

I used to enjoy MC riding and thought I was smart by sticking to just the less traveled boonie roads. One day I had a close encounter with a deer jumping out of a thicket along the roadside and nearly cleaned my clock as I was speeding by. I didn't see it coming and if I had actually hit it (only missed by inches), I'd of laid there for who knows how long.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I disagree about an accident waiting to happen.

May of the things mentioned can be avoided with proper riding skills. My riding habits have keep me safe. Keeping speed under control, watching ahead for obstacles, both road and people created ones. Backing off when I see a situation that I am not comfortable with. Just way too many factors to list.

Unfortunately I see too many accidents from riders, who are going too fast, they have been drinking, they are not paying attention or not riding according to road conditions.

My group of mostly Vietnam vets, some in their 70's have ridden many years far and wide without accidents.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭

The formal training is required in Florida, it's the smart way to go and it will help reduce the insurance premiums also.

When I had my Harley, I was a member of the HOGs which is "Harley owners group", most members were lifetime riders but all decided to take the motorcycle course anyway (why not) and to help cut insurance cost.

Motorcycles are dangerous to ride mostly because of the other drivers on the roadways so the more training and experience he has the better off he will be. My son bought a 1200 Sporty and I wasn't happy either but he survived the experience and eventually sold it.

I have been riding most of my life but due to my age and back issues I have downsized to a couple of vintage Hondas. one is a 42 year old 400T and the other is a 26 year old 250 Rebel, I also have a little dirt bike that I shouldn't be riding at all but .............. well, I like it.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    py_archerpy_archer Member Posts: 12

Some incidents are unavoidable, but in almost every other case the rider could have done something different to avoid the outcome. Mentally challenged people should not be on two wheels.

As previously stated, riders should start in the dirt. Easier said than done for city dwellers but not out of the question.

Sport bikes are the safest bikes on the road. They go better, handle (turn) better, have the best rubber and have the most stopping power.

"I had to lay'er down" is just another way of saying 'I crashed". That phrase comes from the early days of motor cycling when roads were dirt and brakes were horrible. Not relevant on today's modern roads and bikes.

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭

hope for the best Plan for the worst

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,358 ******

Wife and I took the class back in '03 when we got the Harleys, she had only ridden in the dirt before that and had probably been at least 20 years for her, I had started on minibikes when i was about 4 years old, rode dirt and first street legal vehicle was a '68 kawasaki 250 IIRC... many other Honda and Yamahas after that then quit riding when last street bike got stolen around 1984 or so, told myself I'd not buy another until I could afford the Harley I wanted... never thought it would be close to 30 years and then I bought 2 (one for her) and figured I could use the class also. It was excellent and taught me to correct some bad habits I had from riding in the dirt as a kid... The class will be very good for him and he might meet some folks to ride with, we did!

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, he will be fine.

• Options
    SilverminoSilvermino Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

As others have stated, it is the others on the road, both 2 and 4 legged.

Back in 1961, I had a NSU 250. I was following a friend who was on the loudest Indian you have ever heard. A dog came out to chase him and after he passed, the dog continued to the opposite side of the road. All of a sudden he decided to cross back to where he came from right in front of me. I hit him broadside at about 40 MPH. Fortunately, my wheels hit the ground going forward and I managed to stay upright. The dog died instantly. That scared the living H out of me.

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭

I grew up in South Carolina, (no helmet laws), bought a Honda moped in 9th grade with proceeds from my paper route, but only really rode it on my paper route, to school and off road trail riding. Had a few bigger bikes in college but after a few close calls gave it up. Driving a bike around Atlanta is a death wish. One of our shotgun instructors is a student with an older Harley and an 87 F150. His biggest threat is getting run over when either of his vehicles goes DRT on the side of the road.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭

In 1971 my brother had a Kawasaki Mach 111 500. Two stroke, three cylinder. Billed as "the fastest production vehicle in the world."

One summer night he let me ride the bike. I got on the Atlanta Perimeter at Ashford Dunwoody and headed east. In two miles, I saw that I was doing 125 mph. And even a dumb 20 year old kid had the brains to say "If you hit a board, laying in the road, at 125 mph you will die." I took the Buford Hwy exit, took the back roads to my parents' house at about 30 mph, and parked that bike and never touched it again.

Two months later, brother totalled the Rice Rocket, a granny pulled out in front of him on Peachtree and he Tboned her. He flipped right over her car and landed on his back on Peachtree Rd.

Yes, young men and motorcycles, dangerous combination.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Riding honda 350 home from HS I was trying to catch up to the other bikers that left before me. Little did I know the county had spread pea gravel in an intersection that had a slight curve. Usually could could do the curve around 70 mph. I went straight that day into a cement culvert before a driveway. Bent the folk clear under the bike like the exhaust. Threw me over the handlebars 300+ feet across one homes lot and into the neighbors flower bed. Almost made it to the bay window. Biker ahead of me turned around and said... I was as high as the crossbars on the power poles flying like superman with my arms straight out. I don't remember anything except the rough landing.