In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Talk to me about Mercedes AMG models

Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I have two Land Rovers, both work great. It has been decreed there shall be another vehicle in the family, It shall be cushy and smooth, and Lo, far from it shall the dogs stay.

So I'm looking at Range Rovers, either the 2006-2009 Range Rover Sport with the Jaguar engine, or the 2015 and newer big Range Rover Supercharged, with 510hp. I sat in a 2010 RR Sport today and the headroom was too low for me... my head was hitting the roofliner. Drat!

So today I was searching locally and found a listing for a 2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 63 AMG 4MATIC. I did a little googling and we're talking twin turbo 5.5L V8 and 550hp and 560 lb-ft of torque. As Sulu would say on Star Trek, "Ohhhh myyyyyyyyyyy".

It's a great price, $36k ish. What do you guys know about AMG-powered Mercedes? Do they blow turbos? Do they live long happy lives? It will live in the mountains and 3-foot deep snowdrifts are common. My Land Rovers handle them with ease.

Any advice is appreciated. Oh, and to keep this a "gun" topic, I will use the beast to drive to the range.

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

waitt till ya have to fix it🤑

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's twice the vehicle

I'm at 213,000 on my 2007 .

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

AMG's are absolutely awesome cars. With an extra couple thousand you can turn them into a fully manual transmission. The biggest issue with them is the pump for the auto shift, If I remember right it's over $4,000 to replace and they have a history of failing. They are no good in the winter, too much power to drive when it's wet out. But they are awesome when it's dry.

They designed the transmission so that it is the same for both manual and auto, and they added the pump and plumbing to make it a paddle shift.

But like all Mercedes, they are expensive to repair.

Joe

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

AMG is an amazing car.

The engines are hand built and AMG has a saying in German which means “One Engine, One Man”.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

All the crap you mentioned are great, as long as you buy them new and get rid of them before the warranty runs out. Oh, I want something with a Juguware engine. HAHAHA. The only good juguwares have had small block Chevys put in. My Dad until he died last year, kept three new high end BMW's all the time. When he died he had just taken delivery of a new 750, but he would have told anyone to never own one without a factory warranty. Unless you just want a hobby, not a dependable vehicle. Then that's cool, but expensive.

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭

I know enough about the Mercedes that I would advise you to buy a Toyota 4-Runner.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

gotta agree with the crowd, especially where you live, I doubt they have to many mercedes trees growing parts up there in that cold climate, you may be waiting months on parts??.....

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

My older Mercedes sedan has a 4-matic system. It does well in the slick weather we get here when set in winter mode but that is nothing like you get there, ice and small snows. Dedicated winter tires would help but I am just running highway tread. 4-6 inches at once as about all we get with occassional 10"+ snows. I've never had it out in drifting snow but being a low setting sedan I also do not want to. Just commenting on the 4-matic system as my vehicle doesn't compare to the one you are looking at.

• yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Land Rovers & Jeeps were engineered for your climate. AMG Mercs don't have the ground clearance to be happy with much snow. Wide, low profile tires are a detriment. Potential maintenance costs could be steep also.

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your input. I did see a few newer 4-Runners too in the same price range. I think the massive hp with the twin turbo Merc would be a blast, but it would wind up being a summer toy only.

Example: we had a big storm last night so I had to drive my daughter to work. We were busting 2' to 3' snow drifts going down the mountain in her AWD 2016 Highlander. It was okay but you could feel the undercarriage dragging through the snow. I was thinking "boy this is not gonna be good coming back up".

I was right. I blasted up the mountain using momentum to get through the drifts, until I was within 1,000 yards of the house on a long curve. The house was right there, but I couldn't get to it, a big drift had blown full again before I got back home. I tried to use momentum to get through and the front end surfed off to the right and stuck the front end. So I quickly grabbed reverse and floored it to blast back out before it settled. I tried gassing it from there and there wasn't enough traction to get any speed so I backed waaaaay down the road and tried again. I got up a good head of steam and aimed left of center in the drift, and surfed through it, and the front end pretty much popped out the far side centered on the road. I gassed it hard and barely made it through, and parked up in front of the house. Now I have to go out and clear the road down around to the garage so I can get to the doors and put it inside to thaw. The drifts are only about 3 feet deep so it should be easy (groan).

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly all newer German vehicles are money pits.Gone is the quality and craftsmanship of the past.Many times the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Since you seem to not mind spending $, then look at the new Ford Broncos. Get one with the sasquatch package. Exterem low gear and low speed cruise. That coupled with the right tires should crawl up the snow covered road!

I'd LOVE to have one, but can't justify the expense just cause I want one. For about 40k you can get a NICE one, or go all out and get the raptor for around 75k.😁😎

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

3' deep drifts? The only Mercedes you should be lookin' at is a Unimog!

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Unimog! now you're talking!

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I had a 2000 and unless it's got a lift, it's not going to do well in 3' drifts. There's little substitute for ground clearance.

Nanuq I think, were I you, I'd stick with the Land Rover, or go the 4 Runner route. The highlander isn't too different from my Honda Pilot (except that the Pilot has more HP, GC, and drives more 'truckish') and I don't think I'd be traversing any 3' drifts with it on the regular.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Pass on Mercedes

• BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I use an ‘07 4-Runner in the winter. It does better in the snow than the wife’s Sequoia. Even though hers is heavier and has more power, I think her wider tires are a detriment.

A buddy hit a chunk of road ice in his 4-matic. Ended up replacing the air dam, grill and some misc parts $$$$.

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys, you talked me off the ledge. That 550hp Merc would be a hoot, but I can't justify a summer-only hoot.

Even my '63 Rover does better than that busting deep snow.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

I sure can't read the future but my best advise to anyone thinking about buying a car\truck, new or used, at this time would be to hold off and wait.

That is unless you are absolutely desperate.

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭

My Jeep is higher than those Toyotas and I read comfy in the original post , Jeep beats all on comfort

Foot and a hlf of snow in my driveway and I just back out

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

Well, you must have a lift, because stock, the 4Runner has about 1.5" more GC. 🤷‍♂️

And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain