In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cylinder Swap?

I've been seriously thinking about buying a BP revolver. I once read a comment online where a guy stated he bought a BP revolver and then purchased a cylinder for it that was chambered for 45lc. I wish I had wrote it down at the time but didn't. So, is this true? If so, which model and cylinder was he referring to?

I've been looking at the Pietta's.

Comments

• Options
    py_archerpy_archer Member Posts: 12

I just found this.

Also, I forgot to add in the original post, is this safe?

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Yes there ae two companies that make cartridge cylinders for percussion revolvers, usually chambered for .45 Long Colt and 38 Special. The cylinders have a plate on the back that has a firing pin for each chamber. The plate must be removed to load and unload. I think that ad for a .44 Magnum cylinder is in error. That would be much too powerful for a BP revolver. Good luck.

• Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Another thing, use only in steel frame guns with light Cowboy loads (low powered lead bullet, no jacketed hunting loads). They make conversion cylinders for several types of reproduction pistols, make sure you get the correct one for the gun you buy. The remington 1858 in .36 or .44 are the easiest to change over to 38 spec or 45 Long colt.

• Options
    tinhorntinhorn Member Posts: 2

Kirst and Howell each make different types of cartridge converters. When I was on the Kirst website, I'm certain that I read that a barrel sleeve (a permanent modification) is necessary to convert a .36 caliber to accept a .38 bullet. I recommend going to the manufacturers' websites to get the "real lowdown" before buying a converter.

I bought a Howells converter in .45LC caliber for my Uberti. .45 Long Colt Cowboy ammo can be fired, apparently, without further modications. The one time I took it to the range to try it, the Wolff hammer spring was too light to fire the round. I'd installed the lighter spring because I typically dry fire the gun with laser .45LC cartridges.

I also bought a Kirst .22LR converter for Pietta/Uberti .36/.44 revolvers. Hahahaha! There's a difference of a few thousandths of an inch in cylinder lengths between Pietta and Uberti. The .22 converter dropped right into the Pietta. Getting it to fit my Uberti would require a machine shop. Can't wait to fire a .22 down the 6-1/2" barrel of a three-pound 1858 Remington. Just wish it was WMR.

If you find a .22 converter, make sure it comes with the barrel insert. Saw some dude selling a cylinder without the insert and felt sorry for the poor guy who ended up getting stuck with an incomplete conversion.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

We were really surprised when a guy with a really nice looking $300 BP pistol shot at a metal target at about 50 yards and seemed like several seconds after the blast we heard the bullets hitting the metal target, kinda like a BB gun.

I could stand behind him a see the bullet headed towards the target once it left the cloud of smoke.

Fun to shoot but not a Big Game gun.

• Options
    freerobertfreerobert Member Posts: 1

Go to Midway USA they carry the conversion cylinder for each caliber both Colt and Remongton.