In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Frankford Arsenal Primers for Large Pistol?

I have a number of Frankford Arsenal primers and have a couple questions. Are they corrosive? They fit into the primer pocket of a large pistol very well. However, are they harder than new large pistol primers to the extent that positive ignition will be a problem? I, like everyone else has a major problem obtaining large pistol primers and am trying to find if, these are safe in my Rugers? Realize that the gun will have to be properly cleaned after firing. I appreciate any and all info you gents can pass on to me. In case my photo did not make it the lot number on the box is F.A.5344.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

From what I can determine, the No. 26 denotes they are corrosive primers. The only way to tell for sure is shoot one against bare metal one inch from the end of the barrel and see if it rusts after 24 hours. The Ruger will probably detonate the rifle primers but the only way to tell is to fire one anyway. If they ignite they are fine to use BUT THE BARREL AND CYLINDER MUST BE PROPERLY CLEANED AFTER FIRING. GOOD LUCK.

Added: Good catch MW. Hgt.- Lg rifle .128, Lg pistol .120. Dia. both .212. Recommended seating depth is .003 inches below flush with the case head. Seated flush with the case head is not considered safe and could result in a accidental discharge. There is a good amount of information on the internet about primers.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

just to note; these are LARGE RIFLE primers. they will not seat properly in pistol cases (Too long)

• 44mag444mag4 Member Posts: 47

These primers will fit into 44 Spec cases. They do have a round top verses the modern flat top primers but, modifying the primer seater, they fit perfect. I have since asking this question shot a couple hundred with no problems at all. Just clean the gun to remove any corrosive material.

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Mike Wiskey nailed this one. Those primers are too tall to fit pistol brass. If you crush them, they will not be reliable. (at their age, they might not be reliable anyway)