In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Viet Nam era 870 Mark 1

RickRick Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

I have an 870 Mk 1 with the bayonet mount. I understand there were two variation, with rifle sights for the USMC and with bead sight for the Air Force, which is what I have. Does anyone have a reliable source to determine how many of each variation were produced.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I had to break out my copy of The World's Fighting Shotguns:

Remington received a production contract dated 13 May, 1969 from the Navy Department to procure a total of 3,230 M870 Mark 1 shotguns for the USMC. Specs included the features you named. Delivery of the Mark 1 to the Marines began in September 1969.

Unfortunately the book offered far less information on the USAF variation. No production numbers were given, but it was mentioned that both parkerized and commercial blued examples are known to exist.

I've always loved combat shotguns, so hopefully someone will come along to fill in a few more of the blanks.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭

No specific USAF numbers but I ran across this article;

It seems to indicate the addition of the extended magazine and the bayonet mount could have been done by each branch of the service. If this is the case, I don't know how an accurate number could be derived. Bob

• Options
    RickRick Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

Hey guys, thanks so much for the response. I saw a USMC version went for five figures on RIA last year. I was in mint condtion though. The dang sight/bayonet mount alone like mine went for over a K on ebay last week. I think I will just run it and see what happens. Thanks again, Rick

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

FWIW, if you don't have many feedbacks as a seller on the auction side, you might not get the full value of the gun. I've seen new sellers who list a high dollar/rare item on the auction side, and there is a pink banner that gets put on the auction asking potential buyers if they have seen the item posted elsewhere, and are asked to report it.

Also, with the kind of money that you think it will bring, and you might be at a disadvantage not being able to take a credit card. and/or the new gb payment. I would look into having some of the big sellers here list it for you. Sure, they will take 10% or so, plus the gb fee's, but they pay less in fee's than the standard person does. They are also set up to take many different forms of payment, and all of the hassle with dealing with a high value auction. JMO, though. Please post it if it gets listed, and GLWS.

Todd