In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel Recommendations

e8gm90e8gm90 Member Posts: 14

I need to rebarrel a Remington 700 in 308. I use the rifle to punch paper at 2 and 3 hundred yards mostly. It currently has a varmint contour barrel on it and I want to stay with that profile. Does anybody have any recommendations or experience with a particular barrel manufacturer? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

If you are going to have a gunsmith do the job, I suggest asking them.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

A semi-talented DIY guy can install a "Remage" barrel IF you can get the old barrel loosened. As Ricci said, ask your gunsmith since they often have 'favorite brands' of barrels.

• Options
    e8gm90e8gm90 Member Posts: 14

Thanks guys. I'll check with my gunsmith to see if he has a favorite barrel. I appreciate the input.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

check 'bartlien' very impressive

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Try BSF. They supply the carbon fiber barrel for the Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 rifle, and you can purchase directly from BSF. Light, accurate and high on the cool factor as well. Cheaper than Bartlein, Proof and Christianson.

• Options
    brayhavenbrayhaven Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

As a gunsmith 45 years, I’ve barreled a lot of rifles. My favorite was always Shilen. But had good Douglas as well. One I avoided was ER Shaw. Recently built a 6x6.8 using a Bartlein cut rifled barrel on Weatherby action, that’s unbelievably accurate. My experience with cut rifled barrels has them slow to break in but very accurate. This barrel was shooting one holers from the first break in shot.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Kind a curious about the Proof Research carbon fiber. Also curious about the 5R barrel, too.

Kreiger and Hart if you feel nostalgic. Also they can be cut to shape of your choice.