In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Monitor...Wow

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

I recently had noticed my computer monitor was taking longer and longer to revive it self coming out of sleep mode. Once it came on, it worked fine - or so I thought - but it was clear it was failing.

Bought a new monitor yesterday. Wow. Not only does it now waken instantly, but it is SO much brighter. I didn't realize how dim the old one had gotten over time. It must be at least five or six years old. Fine details weren't clear, and I found myself squinting a lot at it. No more!

I bought an HP 24M for $159 at Walmart. 24" and 1920x1080 resolution. It came with both HDMI and VGA cables. My console computer doesn't have HDMI, so I'm using the VGA side. Both my Linux Mint and the monitor talked to each other on first bootup and automatically optimized the monitor. Pretty slick.

While I was there, I also picked up a new SSD hard drive. I'll install it and install the newest version of Linux Mint on it soon. Fun times ahead!

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭

Our latest monitor is an HP 27 EB that we've had for several years. I've been very happy with it so far. Nice bright colors and high resolution. What more could you want. 😊

Joe

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I picked up an HP 32" 2K about a year ago when I replaced my desk top. Makes it easier to look at things up close and edit photos. AND I can see my granddaughter clearly when I get new photos and videos !!!!

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know people still used those things. How can you lay in your recliner and play on your computer with a desktop on your lap?

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

Smitty, I have and use seven computers, eight if you count my phone (which I do not). I have two desktops, three laptops, and two tablets. One desktop is an emergency backup, two of the laptops are travel machines and the other is a Linux tester, and I keep one of the two tablets near my recliner so I can look up stuff I see on TV.

I do 90% of all 'pooter stuff on this desktop because it's on a nice desk, with a great chair, and this nice big screen.

Not one of them runs Windows or MAC.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options

I can't stand sitting in my recliner trying to look at a cell phone or even my IPAD most of the time....I went the opposite way. Big Monitor and a "Big Man" office chair... AND I do not fall asleep in the middle of looking things up !

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited March 2022

I use three monitors, and that's just to keep an eye on the forums 😉.

I can't imagine getting any work done with only a single screen. I need two at the minimum.

• Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭

I'm impressed, yous guys are multitaskers. I'm trying to impress you with some northern lingo I picked up from a new neighbor.