In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

July, 1939 - Gordonton, N.C.

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in General Discussion

$.22.9 per gallon = Expensive gas for 1939 ! | $4.69/gal. Today ... πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‹

July 1939. Gordonton, N.C. "Country store on dirt road. Sunday afternoon. Note kerosene pump on the right and the gasoline pump on the left. Rough, unfinished timber posts have been used as supports for porch roof. Negro men sitting on the porch. Brother of store owner stands in doorway." 4x5 nitrate negative by Dorothea Lange for the Farm Security Admin. View full size.

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of the old country stores around when I was growing up . They started to disappear in the late 70s ,early 80s as convenience stores started to appear . There are still a few in my area hanging on in the less populated areas.

cry Havoc and let slip Β the dogs of war.....Β 
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen the first one several times through the years, but that's the first time I've seen the second one.

Joe

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

agree 1st time I have seen the 2nd photo of the place

look close Suttle changes in the photos of the items around and under the porch .. reminds me the test photos in school what is the difference in the two photos ?

boy how laid back and basic it was rough life for so many but they struggled thru

as a kid going to Tennessee to visit dads family lot of memories of the old mom pop general stores / gas stations creaking old wood floors dimly lighted I remember what looked like a few boxes / tiins of food and assorted goods of course the old fellers sitting on the front porch just passing time . it was a great day to get a RC and a moon pie and penny packs of BB's and that's was good as kid could want LOL

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭

... a time long passed. Look where we are now. Thanks for sharing, gesshots.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******

I really miss a lot of those "mom & pop" places where your patronage benefited actual local hard working families. Now we have 7 Eleven's and Dollar Stores run by some corporate conglomerate where profits go who knows where.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭

Scene's like that in rural areas were pretty common around the South, my Grandparents owned one a wee bit better than the one pictured along with their farm operation, it also served as a neighborhood news source too. Credit was common since few had cash until payday and beyond. Checkers under a large shady oak tree was the favorite past-time for many.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of folks still had kerosene lighting prior to ww2

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******

Wait, that can't be in the South. We're all racist and we would never let black folks sit on the front porch. (sarcasm)