In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pedersen Model 2500 12 gauge Double Barrel Shotgun Question

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Ask the Experts

I bought a Pedersen Model 2500 12 gauge Double Barrel Shotgun which fires both barrels with one pull of the trigger. I have not found much information on line other than the shotgun was imported from Spain by Mossberg in the early 70s. Does anyone have a schematic or knowledge about these guns. Included are photos of action. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I don't know but it seems like the sear is not engaging the hammer of the unfired barrel. Try a deep cleaning (soaking) and then a high-tech lubricant, making sure the lube reaches all of the moving, pivoting parts. You could contact Mossberg and ask if this model had a problem. Good luck.

A worn sear or hammer notch could be the problem. Also, the transfer mechanism from barrel to barrel is initiated by the recoil of the gun (usually). That mechanism must move freely.

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I'll try, the front of the trigger has a pivot pin to an S block with a notch cut on either side, that engages the sear to the hammer. The right notch is very worn with rounded edges, and the trigger pulls that block back at the same time for both barrels, one notch would have to be deeper than the other. That long bar on top of the trigger may be a safety or a barrel selector, that would complicate the problem from my view of how it actually works. But slowing squeezing the trigger and viewing the operation would help, as one barrel may fire a split second before the other.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Some gun shops have ultra sonic cleaners for deep cleaning pistols.If your action will fit in one they do wonders on cleaning old gummed up lubricants from hidden areas.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

So does brake cleaner.😁

• Options
    edited April 2022

I have caught up on the suggestions but both sears engage at the same time and both fire with one pull of the trigger. It appears to be down to timing of the sears

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Does it have a barrel selector? The trigger must bear on some kind of linkage that presses on only one sear and then switches to the other upon firing. I cannot see any linkage in your pictures, which are very clear.

can you observe the firing mechanism when you pull the trigger? A thought; have you actually fired the gun?

• Options

No barrel selector... Both sears are engaged in trigger linked sear/inertia block. Some one has been into action before due to marks and screw head damage. I can watch all parts as I pull trigger which is an exceptionally heavy pull. I have fired the gun.

Thanks

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Could it be a "Slam Fire" ??? 😏

• Options

No it is not caused by recoil from other barrel firing.

• Options

I will put it on the back burner for now.

Thanks to all for your ideas

This discussion has been closed.