In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22" barrels on 300 winmags??

sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

For reasons I can't really explain, I've been thinking about a 300 winmag. In shopping around, it seems some manufacturers (Mossberg & Howa) are chambering that round in 22" barrels. I also see Weatherby Vanguards with 26" tubes. I've always understood that even a 24" barrel doesn't fully utilize the ballistic advantages of the 7 remmag, 300 winmag, 338 winmag, etc. Long ago, I read an article by (I think) John Barsness about experimenting with different barrel lengths on a .270 win. Even with that round, he found a substantial ballistic advantage using a 26" barrel. I understand the recent trend toward short action, short barrel, more compact rifles, blah, blah, blah. I'm no ballistics genius, but it seems like a 300 magnum with a 22" barrel adds muzzle blast and recoil, while giving performance only slightly superior to the vaunted 30-06. How wrong am I?

Arrivederci gigi

Comments

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

22". Isn't that what a model 94 has? It sounds like you're pursuing 30-30 performance with $75 a box ammo. I go through the same thought process when I see a full stocked mannlicher schoenauer. I love the look but the18" barrel brings me back to reality.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

ALL production barrels are too short IMO. My Ruger M77 30-06 has a 22" barrel. My Ruger M77 338 Win. has a 24" barrel When I pieced together my 6.5-06, I ordered a 26" barrel.

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

From experience with hunting rifles with 22 to 26 inch barrels.

I hunt with all 3 lengths and for me a 24 is my preference. A 26 inch barrel is not user friendly to carry through brush or using a sling carrying on the shoulder with the barrel pointed up and have to be careful carrying with the barrel pointed down.

You can do the long distance comparison between the 22-26 inch barrel lengths for bullet drop vs vel and you won't find that much difference unless you are shooting around 500 yards or more. I only shoot that far at paper, varmits and coyotes. (and when you actually shoot your gun at long range you will usually get a surprise about not being very close to the predictions listed on paper for bullet drop)

I reload for hunting accuracy and prefer really close to consistent 1 inch groups at 100 yards for first 3 shots starting from a cold barrel in all kinds of weather.

I've found that some of the 26 inch barrels are more picky about reload recipes vs a 24 inch barrel. (barrel vib's)

I've tested through a chrony the difference in vel using a 24 vs a 26 and don't see that much difference.

For the big Magnums, 7mm and 300 mags what I do prefer is a Wooden stocked rifle that weighs at least 9 lbs bare gun and 10 lbs or more with a scope. If you get a mag rifle that is light weight, weighs around 7.5 lbs with a scope they will usually produce felt recoil, enough that you will grit your teeth and close yours eyes while jerking on the trigger.

One of my favorite long range hunting rifle that does not kick much is a 264 win mag shooting 120-140 grain bullets and using a 24 inch barrel.

Speaking of felt recoil, you won't hardly believe how much you can reduce the amount of felt recoil by going from a 180 bullet to a 150 gr in a 30:06, or from a 175 gr bullet to a 140 gr bullet in a 7mm rem mag, or a 180gr to a 150 gr in a 300 Winchester mag. Try a 220 gr bullet in a 30:06 and a 300 win mag then immediately shoot a 150gr afterwards or vice versa and you will get the idea.

Most generally you do not need the heavier bullets unless you are hunting elephants at close range, therefore I choose a bullet designed for hunting and I DO NOT PREFER BALLISTIC TIP OR HOLLOW POINTS BULLETS AT HIGH VELOCITIES FOR HUNTING GAME ANIMALS SUCH AS DEER OR ELK.

Why, I've seen several times the HP and Ballistic tips hunting bullets blow up like a hand grenade at close range from High Velocity guns if they hit a shoulder bone with only small pieces of shrapnel inside and no exit wound or small exit wound and very small blood trial and the animal travel long distances before it dies.

Just to mention a few that use for high vel rifle for hunting are Hornady Interlocks, Remington Core locks, Nosler Partitions, and even Nosler solids.

I prefer complete bullet pass through on a game animal.

I only use Hollow Pointed type bullets on varmits and crows.

Some rifles are magna ported which reduces felt recoil but the side muzzle blast from those will usually knock down bystanders.

Sometimes all I have to offer is experience.

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

IMHO i like shorter barreled rifles and shotguns, they just fit me better and are easier to handle for me. but your point is well taken, if you want to get the most from the larger magnums you should use the 26" barrel. im a big fan of the 338 but i dont load it to the max, i find it works really well at lower velocities also. after all WDM Bell killed hundreds of elephants with a 275 Rigby

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

22 inch barrel in a 300 mag, just as well use a .308.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

While I am a fan of the 300wm, if you want to have a great compromise go with the 300wsm. 10% less powder to burn makes the 24" barrel ideal and you get just about the same performance as a 300wm in a 26" barrel. I get within 25fps with my 180 grain and pretty much identical performance with my 150s. Bob

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, high cap cart must be 24" min. Makes a big difference in 1000 yard shoots.

JMHO, the lightest bullet I shoot out of a 300 WM is 180 gr.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't consider a 22" magnum. A 257 Wby 22" is just a louder 24" 25/06--but no more velocity. Even the higher capacity non-magnum cartridges are handicapped by a 22" barrel. In fact, I have seen actual results of the difference between the 25/06 using 22" vs 24" barrels (I have both).

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Had a Remington 700 26" 25/06. Turn up the velocity with the x tra 2" barrel especially with Hornady Superformance. It surpassed the energy knock down of a .308 150 gr. past 300 yd.

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

Thanx for all the input folks. Lots of good information, much of it based on real world experience.

Arrivederci gigi
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

My Sendero in 7mm carries a 26 inch barrel from the factory, there is a reason for that, it is now a STW and needs the longer barrel for speed and recoil management.

I have a custom 6 x 284, it has a 28 inch tube, but then it is not toting hunting gun.