In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Suing my home owners insurance company

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in General Discussion

For context- This is Florida. I have never in my life filed any sort of insurance claim.

There was a storm in late October. November I figured out I had damage to my roof while I was hanging Christmas lights.

I call a roof guy for a repair and the rest is history. He says I need a whole new roof for a few reasons. Gives me a ballpark of 20-30K.

My roof guy is a well established business, and a guy I play poker with through the same social circles, I trust his reputation. He is confident based on the damage and the documented storm, I should file a claim.

File a claim-

A month later:

Adjustor and roof guy show up and evaluate.

2 weeks later:

Insurance company offers to repaint my interior ceiling and take no action on the roof.

My position was repainting it does nothing to prevent future water intrusion.

A month later:

They send a 2nd adjuster and roofer out. These guys are both blaming the design of my roof before anyone ever goes onto the roof. I point out, they had no issue issuing a policy to me and also point out, neither are architects therefore their opinions on the design is sort of irrelevant.

2 weeks later:

They send a follow on letter stating there is no storm damage only “normal wear and tear”.

My roofer of course is adamant the roof has lots of recent storm damage & needs replaced.

Detailed Quote comes in north of $25K

I hire a very seasoned lawyer, & insurance company agrees to “mediation”.

2 weeks later:

The agreement of mediation, I sign a document which says I will pay $2,000 for the mediation hearing if the insurance company will agree to mediation. (My lawyer thinks he can get it done in mediation).

2 weeks later:

Insurance company agrees to mediation.

2 weeks later:

Insurance company sends me a letter with cancellation notice of my current policy unless I replace my roof.

A month later:

Today we had a “mediation” where essentially my lawyer had sent in advance a number we would settle for.

In mediation, the insurance company lawyer does not show.

Mediation lawyer pushes it out a few hours and again, no insurance lawyer.

My lawyer promptly states- I have now attempted mediation twice and we will be filing a lawsuit, mediation guy agrees.

My lawyer is now certain we will win, however I don’t know how long the lawsuit process will take & my current policy is set to expire just before Hurricane season gets serious (current policy expires end of June).

I do have the cash to pay for the roof, if push comes to shove but I sure feel like the insurance company stall tactics are designed to force me to do just that and it has me a bit angry.

All in, lawyer fees and what not the roof is going to cost maybe $40K and win or lose I think the insurance company could have got out of this in the beginning for around $18,000.

What a pain.

Comments