In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 24

wcswcs Member Posts: 1

Recently inherited a Savage 24V, Series D, 222 over 20 ga. It was purchased in the '80's. It has been in a gun safe pretty much since purchase. I believe it has never been fired.

I can not break the action open and don't want to force anything. Is there a trick to opening the action?

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭

Just the obvious, make sure the lever is all the way over cause it might be "stuck" a little sitting that long. Put some kind of spray lube on the metal , some kind that won't damage the wood and let in soak for a couple minutes and see what happens.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

While holding the lever open hit the underside of the frame with the palm of your hand. A good smack two or three times should open it. Or use a rubber mallet.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

After you get the action open.

Keep a heads up about this one.

Do not grease the latch in the lower part of the receiver. (this is also mentioned in some of the Savage 24 owners manuals)

I applied to lube and oil to mine and when I shot the shotgun the action would break open.

I actually read the owners manual after it started this issue.

Mine is one of the later models 24F 223/12.

Be careful if you have the fore end off, if it breaks open with the fore end off the barrel will pivot and fall off.