In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus 605 Splitting Cases

truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

My granddaughter and I took her Taurus 605 revolver to the range today. She has had it for 2 years but never fired it. It's a .357 but we used only normal .38 Special FMJ factory ammo, no +P stuff. It worked great for 50-60 rounds, good SA and DT trigger pulls, accurate, all the good stuff. Then suddenly it would not eject a set of empty cases. I had to use a wood rod to tap out one of the cases and found it had a long split. It was new Winchester brand. I cursed Winchester quality and gave the gun a good cleaning. Then we switched to Remington loads. After another 20-25 rounds the same problem occurred, this time with a Remington case. Later it happened a 3rd time with some other brand. Oddly it did not happen each time, just now and then, but maybe increasing in frequency. We never decided it it was always the same chamber that was sticking. Before we totally gave up, and thinking the gun may not like the pressure, I borrowed it and put some full house .357s through it with no problems.

Has anybody experienced this in a revolver before? What might be the causes, other than the obvious fact it is a Taurus?

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Check every fired case for unusual expansion. Inspect every chamber with magnification. Measure every chamber, with an inside micrometer, if possible. Check every chamber with a cartridge for a "loose fit."

If all checks OK then suspect the ammo. But the odds are it is an enlarged or out-of-round chamber. Good luck. A very disappointing situation.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

Advise Taurus and let them repair said pistol.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

I'll say this. Winchester is my preferred brand of brass for handgun reloading.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with Taurus service.I just sent a new G3C back for warranty repair.It was have case rupturing issues.When I got it back they had replaced the firing pin and said it was good to go.