In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spring Hog Hunt 2022

EW0302EW0302 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭

Spent the last 3 weeks with my Father harvesting some feral hogs near Junction TX. I got two turkeys a a bonus. I've got pork in the freezer and Dad went home with a full cooler. As usual, time spent together at the ranch is priceless.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Are those pigs good to eat? I have talked to some guys in Texas who said the wild hog meat was not too good. I can tell you that the wild hogs in central Georgia are delicious! Guess it depends on what they eat.

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

" I have talked to some guys in Texas who said the wild hog meat was not too good. "

Would a Texan ever stretch the truth a little to keep the good stuff for themselves? Being a native Texan I refuse to answer🙄

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Oh heck yes. Great pictures, great times. Well done guys.

• arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Looks like some great fun and some memories created. I have had wild pig when I was in Texas, it was good. Would like to come back down and help eliminate a few and have some good eats too.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,312 ***** Forums Admin

Wow, sounds like a swell trip, and spending time with your dad is awesome!

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

No, on another forum, 2 or 3 guys in Texas talk about wacking 12 or 15 of them in one day, and just throwing 'em in a ditch, declaring them bad to eat. I don't have a dog in the fight, as I am not going to travel to Texas to shoot hogs. Anyway, from what I hear, y'all have more wild hogs there than you know what to do with.

But other guys from Texas say their hogs are good. I can say that me and my pals killed over 40 of them in the Oconee River Swamps in Georgia and they were delicious. A ham from a 90 pound sow, smoked for 10 hours with pecan wood, is the best meat I ever ate.

Only one exception, one buddy killed a 425 pound boar and the meat was nasty. We made 5 pounds of sausage, and cooking it stunk up the kitchen, where we had to leave the room. We threw it in the yard for the dog, and he let out a yelp, and he ran out of the yard.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭

what a great way to spend time with your dad . looks like a great time hunting and lots of meat congrats

memories like this will stay with you a life time . and no one I know has ever said I wish I had worked more , then spent time with the family

• GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

That great. Thanks for sharing.

• EW0302EW0302 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have shot and ate the wild hogs for years. Extremely large boars are great to mount but no so good to eat, Most of the hogs we shoot are under 150 Lbs. We eat the loin like pork chops and make many different types of sausage with the rest of the meat. The quality of the meat also depends on the environment the live in. Where I hunt there are lots of oak trees and other food sources so the meat is good and the hogs have a good deal of fat on them. I do wind up with a large amount of pork products so I give a lot away to family and friends