In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendations for an AR build with 762x39 upper?

Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******
edited April 2022 in General Discussion

I've been reading reviews today and thinking about getting a 762 x 39 upper for one of my new ar builds I've been putting together. I have an old Chinese sks but, that is my only gun in that caliber. Any thoughts on doing this? PSA has none in stock currently and Bear creek has some good reviews, what are any of you using for this platform?

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

You dont have to spend much to end up with a reliable AK/AR. The tapered cart cycles with great ease, however be wary that some of the mags out there they advertise as reliable and feeds well : DONT.

Some brands you may have to Dremel the front of the mag case so bullets will feed into your action. Plenty of U Tubes to show how its done.

IMHO, the best Mags for the 7.62x39 are made by ASC hands down. Dont have to Dremel and super reliable.

IMHO, 16" is the best length and with and average barrel you can shoot consistent 4" or better groups at 100 depending upon ammo. A great improvement over an AK or SKS.

This is going to piss some PSA fans off, but I stay away from their proprietary stuff and yes I own some.

Their standard milspec AR 15 and standard DPMS 308 stuff is great.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭

I seen some good deals on the auction side just keep in mind if you bid there not all of the uppers include the bolt carrier group one thing to watch for in the fine print

• Options

I have one Bear Creek upper in 450 Bushmaster and I have no complaints with it.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

My experience with BCA was NOT good.

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

i second the Bear Creek Arsenal recommendation. i have 3 7.62x39, 350 legend, and 5.56. note the 7.62x39 comes standard with better firing pins and springs 2 of my bca uppers have side charging, the 5.56 has the rear charging handle. i really like the side charge models.

• Options
    edited April 2022

Anderson's show they have their upper in stock if you like the more traditional round hand guard from my experience their stuff has always been good quality.

Never mind I tried ordering one and it came up unavailable during the order process

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist but I'm thinking 25-45 sharps.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

Thank you folks for your comments, I haven't decided yet. But I am leaning toward the BCA side charging. @Mobuck can you share your experience in a PM if you don't want to post it here?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have any problem sharing. I was looking for a 6.5 Grendel upper for Grandson to use for deer hunting and BCA met my somewhat limited budget for the project. The complete upper had assorted problems from the beginning and I wasn't comfortable handing it over to Grandson in this condition. I kept trying to work the kinks out but it suffered chronic, random bouts of malfunction and poor accuracy until I discovered the barrel nut had loosened (freefloat handguard). I sent the upper back (at my expense) for what I thought would be a replacement. Sometime later, the upper returned "FIXED" but within 15-20 rounds, the gas block slipped rendering the upper dysfunctional AGAIN so I stuck it on a shelf for 2 years. Finally, I decided I had nothing to lose and stripped everything down followed by a DIY reassembly. I took my time and did things right with the result being a functional modestly accurate upper with enough rounds through it now to prove it's going to work as it should.